290 royal king video card issues

Updated on 29-05-2015 in R9 290 Series
7 on 27-05-2015

Recently I purchased club3d R9 290 from ncix. After doing a clean reinstall of win7 64 im having a lot of issues with my display. Im not sure if the card is to blame or my psu.
Here are my system specs:
h81ME mother board
intel 17 4770
Kingston 1333 RAM
25 inch Samsung monitor
500W thermaltake psu (im pretty sure its 80 bronze)
club3d R9 290 (not oc)
R9 290 is rated to have atleast 750W but from what I gathered was its only if you have a “bad” psu would you need that much watts.
Since ive put in that card, ill go through many different issues until finally it boots up nicely (10th or 11th try). Some issues are: the pc will turn on but I cant see anything on screen (just a black screen)
sometimes I get no signal detected
sometimes Ill get weird artifacts and in the background you can see the windows splash screen-it usually then flickers and the screen goes black
Sometimes when I enter the bios screen, the screen is creating weird artifacts with the mouse (as I am moving the mouse around).
One time I turned on the pc and I got this weird screen:
 http://i58.tinypic.com/2i71ied.jpg

I am thinking its either the video card or a bad psu? This psu was powering amd fx 6100, GeForce 8800gs before. Not sure what to do at this point. I bought the 290 because it was on sale now im regretting it a lot

Oh I have already tried reinstalling windows and same result, tried resitting the gpu and same result. Tested memory on another computer (amd build) and it works fine so Im thinking its not the memory?

Oh and I have updated my video card to the omega version. I did the beta but witnessed a lot more black screen and weird artifacts then switched to omega and its a lot better but still have issues

• Liked by
0 on 27-05-2015

Hi,
Thank you for getting in touch with us.
Can you tell me the model you have on the PSU? Then we can look up the specs and see if the issue is the PSU or not.
Kind regards,

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 27-05-2015

Hey Paul,
the model is Thermaltake TR2 TR-500 500W ATX12V

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 27-05-2015

Hi,
The power supply has two rails, therefore the +12V1 which has 18A or 18Ax12V=216W wil be powering your mainboard CPU and PCI-E slots. Based on your spec at i7 4770 at 84W TDP, 75W on our PCI-E 16x plus any additional component in your system such DVD-ROM etc you are just getting by. Now your second rail +12V2 has 17A or 17Ax12A=204W which will be powering for example the PCI-E power connectors etc. The R9 290 has a TDP of 250W to 275W, therefore it will not be sufficient with the current power supply you have.
If the power supply was a single rail design you might be able get by but we strongly suggest to get a more powerful power supply. If you choose a multiple rail power supply please make sure that you have sufficient Amp to power your components.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 27-05-2015

oh wow I didn’t see it that way…thanks! Any recommendations?

on 27-05-2015

My first recommendation is to check if you can test the card in a different system that has a better power supply, that is to verify the card is not defective.
Secondly, if you invest a lot on CPU+GPU it is wise to invest on a good power supply that can power those components in the long term.
Get a power supply that has 80PLUS certification, these power supplies are very efficient depending on their rating. As an example in your case since you live in Canada, a 80PLUS Gold at 20% load has 87% efficiency and the rest is waste (13%) which translates to heat. At 50% load is 90% efficient ant 10% is waste or heat. Cheap power supplies are not very efficient therefore if it is lets say 70% efficient, 30% of waste will be translated to heat. In short, you save money in power usage and less heat in your PC.
Now, Single Rail power supply design has its advantages as you can take the full rated power to power all components. Multiple rail design will be split but it can safeguard better components if the power supply fails. Most new power supplies have good power protection so you can go either way.
I hope this helps.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 28-05-2015

Hey Paul, I just wanted to let you know what I did and if the problem has been fixed. Turns out my psu, as you had predicted, was not powerful enough. These 290s need a lot of juice. I bought a really good 80 plus gold 750 psu (its a single rail one too). I am no longer having any issues at all anymore! Thank you so much for the help. I’ve noticed a lot of ppl are/were having problems with 290s/xs and im thinking its because a lot of ppl like me didn’t realize just how powerful these cards are and how much power they require. It feels good to finally use my card for its intended purpose…gaming! Thank you again, you saved me a lot of time and im so glad I don’t have to RMA the card.

on 29-05-2015

I am glad that you got it sort it.
Cheers

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel