8-12 monitors from a laptop?

Updated on 02-03-2015 in MST Hub
5 on 01-03-2015

Hello. I am trying to run 8-12 monitors for work. I have 6 1920×1080 dell monitors w/ DP. I also have 6 1600×900 monitors without displayport. I will be running a dell e5440 w/ intel hd 4400 graphics. I have a docking station with 2 DP outs. I am considering buying 2 CSV-5400’s, connecting 4 monitors per DP… for any additional monitors, I can use usb solutions.

Does anyone know if this configuration will work?

• Liked by
2 on 02-03-2015

Hi,
If you are using external usb graphics either by using standard adapters or docking stations, the DisplayLink chipset allows you to configure up to 6 displays. Note that performance on the displays depends a lot of the GPU you use and what applications you want to use. In this case if you choose this method, adding your existing video ports you can figure how many displays you can obtain.
In regards to using the MST Hub we don’t recommended with the Intel 4400 as we have tested this GPU on a standard desktop configuration as well as the Intel NUC and we are not able to drive individual displays or MST Mode, only on SST mode (single resolution across several displays only). On the other hand on the Intel HD 5000 series we did not have any problems.

on 02-03-2015

Display link chipset? Are you saying that I could technically have 6? I do not have a displaylink chipset, as far as I know.

Uh oh, so none of your hubs will work with the 4400?

on 02-03-2015

It does work but we have noticed that the Intel driver on the 4400 series it does not behave as it should. With the Intel HD 5000 series there no issues.
If you are using a USB Docking Station running a DisplayLink chipset for graphics then you can use up to 6 displays.
Find out more here

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 02-03-2015

I am not using a USB docking station, but a Dell docking station

on 02-03-2015

Ok, understood.
Based on Intel specification the maximum support you have on the Intel HD 4400 is 3 displays.
A CSV-5400 will not be of use to you as the GPU is not capable of driving more than 3 displays through the DP 1.2 port. Multiple DP ports on your docking station will not mean that you can drive either 3 or 4 displays with a MST hub, display support is limited by the GPU used. For example a Radeon R7 or R9 series is able to drive 6 displays with a combination of a MST hub and native video ports on the device.
You can find more information about your GPU under display supportĀ here

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel