Club 3D R9 285 does NOT support mixed rotation Eyefinity PLP

Updated on 24-06-2015 in R9 280 Series
16 on 16-12-2014

The Club 3D R9 285 Royal Queen (royalQueen) graphics card states that it supports Eyefinity in mixed orientation (as does AMD for all R9 285 cards). That is the only reason I bought it. (I use 3 screens for gaming, in portrait-landscape-portrait layout.) However, upon testing it, this card does NOT support mixed orientation Eyefinity. CCC forces me into landscape on all screens.

I am writing in the hope of having the flaw corrected in a future card release, & also to inform prospective buyers. The card cannot currently be used for PLP (portrait landscape portrait).

1. Text here states that it is supposed to support mixed orientation Eyefinity:

http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/radeon-r9-285-royalqueen.html

“The Club 3D AMD Radeon™ R9 285 Graphics card is loaded with the latest from Graphics Core Next Architecture, including mixed screen resolution and orientation for AMD Eyefinity Technology…”

(and AMD says it in their Full List of Features: “Rotated Eyefinity Support for Radeon™ R9 285… Enables a mix of portrait and landscape oriented displays”)

2. Software: I did driver uninstall/install correctly (new CCC Omega driver of Dec 8 2014). I also used CCC correctly. Mixed orientation was NOT an existing option for Eyefinity (I cannot turn the screens as advertised). Screens are all forced into landscape, when I require 2 to be in portrait.

3. Hardware: I have common current gaming hardware, it is not my fault. The card does not support its claims.

I am very unhappy. To be told it offers what I need, when it doesn’t. It is false advertising, there is no Eyefinity PLP support. I am contacting both Club 3D & AMD about this, & posting this on both WSGF & Club 3D forum. It may be that all R9 285 cards do not support their mixed orientation claims. The problem needs to be addressed, PLP needs to be supported.

If anyone has insight in this matter, please respond.

• Liked by
1 on 17-12-2014

Hi Cardplayer,
Thank you for your post and we do apologise the inconvenience caused by the large disappointment you have with our R9 285 card.
We have tested here internally the support for PLP and indeed the latest OMEGA driver is not providing support for this setup. You can do mixed resolutions but has to be either on LLL or PPP.
Also we went further to test the R9 290 series with the same results so we think this could be a driver issue. We are currently in contact with our engineers and also with AMD to verify these results.
The text on our site and also on AMD site is correct, we have absolutely no intention to place incorrect information on our site and in case of any mistake we shall correct it.
Please note that hardware and software developments are not always in sync when a product is introduced in the market, the Rotated Eyefinity support was announced recently by the AMD team with the introduction of the OMEGA driver and we have little influence on what AMD features will implement.
Here is the official AMD statement on the R9 285 OMEGA introduction;

As a side note, AMD provides incredible value on their Eyefinity Technology for the consumer market. Most features found on the FirePro cards are found today on the consumer level products and we think is a nice development.
If you are considering making a standard Eyefinity Setup please note the following chart on what is possible for Radeon™ based cards. The rest of the configurations are reserved for the FirePro products.

We will keep you posted on the R9 285 card.
Welcome to Insights.

on 17-12-2014

Thanks Paul for your insight & Club 3D’s good support

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 19-12-2014

Hi cardplayer,
I am still awaiting for feedback and I have not forgot your case. 
In the meantime we have also tested the driver 14.11 beta2 and 14.9 WHQL here with the same results.
Regards

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 23-12-2014

As we have not received yet any feedback from AMD we have proceeded tor remove all information in our website for the Rotated Eyefinity support. 
We will keep you posted in this matter.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 24-03-2015

If anyone cares, the new AMD Catalyst 15.3 Beta Driver promises to fix mixed rotation on R9 285. I have not tested it. Proof: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Mixed-Mode-Eyefinity-Support-for-R9285.aspx

on 24-03-2015

Hi Cardplayer,
We have escalated the issue to AMD in regards to the rotated support with Taiwan and Canada. It has been a while since we did not hear from them again but this looks very promising.
Thank you for your feedback. I did not know they posted this information.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 25-03-2015

Hi cardplayer,
We tested this morning the PLP configuration and it works without issues.
Kind regards

• Liked by
Cancel
2 on 26-03-2015

Awesome. I can’t tell you how happy that makes me. Thanks for testing it.

on 26-03-2015

Hi Cardplayer,

When you setup the PLP the driver by default will place the screens as “fit”. If your portrait displays are taller than the landscape display, you will have a black portion on the top.

You need to go back to the catalyst and under Catalyst AMD Eyefinity Configuration you need to select resize desktop to expand the screen, so both portrait screens will fill the black portion.
FYI

on 26-03-2015

It will be preferable to most PLP users to game with visible image as a perfectly lined-up rectangle (keeping black margins on tall sides. It is clean this way & a better use of PC resources (as peripheral vision is of less value). While surf/work remains full unmatched heights). So corrective margins on side screens is a great feature (top or bottom). But the filling option is great to have. Particularly if center screen is shorter than sides (not recommended). Looking forward to trying it all out.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 21-06-2015

Paul is it possible for you guys to test one of your new AMD cards for mixed-rotation support (for PLP)? For example the Radeon R9 390 8GB royalQueen. I believe an AMD insider stated that all cards released after the R9 285 would include mixed rotation. But this has not yet been confirmed by anyone. The new R9 300 series is a good  strength for many PLP gamers.

on 22-06-2015

Hi,
Yes we can do that. We will find time this week and check it out for you.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on 22-06-2015

Awesome thanks so much. Sorry about the misplaced post.

on 23-06-2015

Hi card player,
We checked with the R9 390X and the 15.20 beta driver and PLP is not supported. The 370, 380 and 390 use the same driver.
Lets wait until the final WHQL driver is released and we will see what happens.

on 23-06-2015

Thanks for checking, looking forward to your final verdict. Do you expect this proper driver in December? (I mean Omega)

on 24-06-2015

It is hard to say. We had the same situation with the 285 card which was announced with the support and was later implemented.
We are checking with AMD with this matter and see what is the feedback.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel