Club3D Radeon R9 280 royalKing, can my pc handle it

Updated on 24-12-2014 in R9 280 Series
12 on 26-11-2014

Hello,

i want to buy the Club3D Radeon R9 280 royalKing but i dont know if my pc can handle it with the current specs, below are my pc specs. i know that i need to buy a new power supply, but i dont know if my motherboard or CPU are good enough.

——————
System Information
——————

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7699
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 2542MB used, 7693MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

—————
Display Devices
—————
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

Greetz,

• Liked by
0 on 27-11-2014

Hi Gerrit03,
Your mainboard MSI 760GA-P43(FX) should be able to handle the R9 280 along with your Athlon II X4 640. I suggest to up a bit the RAM to 8GB and make sure you have a good power supply to power the system and the GPU. Here is a good page that explains the CPU / GPU bottlenecks in case you find any,  you can still make adjustments to make sure that you are setting your system they way you want it. Here is the link

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 27-11-2014

hello, i will buy more RAM and a new power supply. but my question is: is it smart  to  overclock my CPU? i know that this CPU can be overclocked. what i dont  know is if overclocking has risks.

the link you gave me is very interesting! but that made me  think about maybe overclocking.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 27-11-2014

Hi Gerrit03,
Overclocking can damage your components so there is always a risk of damaging your components. It is your decision if it is ok to damage your components.
I suggest you to read a bit about your mainboard and cpu specifications in order to determine how far you can push your system as well as understanding a bit the basics of overlocking. This will help you to achieve your desired results. 
If your decision is to go for overclocking, make sure you always do it in small increments, this is safe but longer in the process to get your final results.
Make sure you test your system before any overclock is done. This will provide you a start up point which you can compare later on how far you have gone with your project.
Cheers

on 27-11-2014

thx for all the help, i will look into it all,and i  wait with clocking after i tried  the new videocard for gaming. than i will decide.

Greetz,

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 27-11-2014

Tell us how it went with the project. 
All the best.

on 04-12-2014

hey, im back because when i was just about buying the card i asked myself  if my tower is big enough for the card.mypc length is 48 cm, what is the max i gpu length i can put in? idont know which brand tower i got and where i got the tower from, because it has been 4 years.

greetz,

gerrit

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 05-12-2014

Hi there again,

The Club 3D R9 280 royalKing is 268x122x36mm, you can find this information in our product page under specifications.
I don’t know the brand of your case but if it fits a Full ATX motherboard and you can see there is space in between the mainboard PCI-E 16x slot to your HD bays etc then it should fit.
Take a measurement tape can measure 268mm from the back of the chassis to the front.
Cheers

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 05-12-2014

one thing you forgot to mention Paul… Gerrit, if you are going to overclock, be sure to invest in a decent aftermarket CPU cooler. The stock ones dont work well for OCing

on 06-12-2014

Thanks. That is also important if you want to keep temperatures down and the OC under control.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 20-12-2014

hey guys im back, i got the r9 280 RQ now and its working great, only 1 thing is bothering me, why does DxDiag shows r9 200 series? because  on some sites where they show systme requirements for a game is says i got the r9 200 series, so i get a lower score, and  well im agitated with that score while i know i got  better.

greetz,

gerrit

on 21-12-2014

Hi Gerrit,
Congrats on the new card. As a vendor, we must submit the product to AMD for the qualification process and AMD includes our BIOS ID in their drivers. The AMD driver does not state the specific model but they do it in series, that is in all products.
I am not sure what you mean a lower score because of the ID or name. Can you detail us a bit more?
Greetings

on 24-12-2014

well if i go to systemrequirementslab, there you can see if your pc can run a game, the r9 280 card is in their ranking system, but because my pc shows my GPU as 200 series i’ll get the score as a r9 200 series, its not that big of a problem, i just dont understand why they have on their site the r9 280 if it is displayed as a 200 series.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel