CSV-5300 with the Surface Pro 3

Updated on 19-04-2018 in MST Hub
27 on 03-12-2014

I have a Surface Pro 3 in a docking station that is connected to a MST CSV-5300. I have to go through a routine of rebooting the Surface Pro while in the docking station and then disconnecting the computer and then reconnecting for my external screens to be recognized. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

• Liked by
2 on 03-12-2014

Hi there,
Have you tried having the MST Hub disconnected, boot your Surface and then connect the MST hub?

on 03-12-2014

I have tried your suggestion and that will sometimes work as well, but it is similar to the process to what I am already doing with disconnecting, rebooting and then reconnecting the Surface each time I want to use the MST Hub. 
I guess I am hoping for a solution where I can disconnect my Surface from the docking station and the MST Hub and then reconnect it without having to reboot. 

on 18-01-2015

My surface pro 3 / MST CSV-5300 set up with 1 HDMI and 2 DVI screens and docking station which has been working OK since 19th Dec has suddenly started having a similar problem following a wake from sleep in the dock.  I now cant get it to drive 3 screens at all ( the best is 1 DVI screen not the HDMI) whether dock connected or plugged directly into the Surface despite reboots in or out of the dock. I have checked the screens and cables individually.  Any suggestions or am I going to have to return the MST under warranty?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 19-01-2015

Hi Richard,

Can you check if any of the Windows updates has caused the problem? We know that sometimes Windows updates has an influence on the MST Hub behavior. 

This is from Jan 16th updates

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4029)

• Adds support for the Autodesk Mudbox 2015 paintbrush tool.
  • Ensures that unreadable text does not appear in the Microsoft Outlook calendar pane.
  • Improves performance of video display and zoom features in DirectX applications
  • Adds support for the fast cursor feature when using Miracast adapters, including the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. 
  • Ensures there is no flickering/blank display on externally connected monitors, especially when connecting multiple monitors in a daisy-chain configuration
  • Improves compatibility with Samsung U28D590D and Dell 2713Hb monitors. Some customers reported they saw a change in screen resolution when the device is docked and connected to Dell monitor. This has been addressed in the update.
  • Adds additional support to enable better compatibility with Panasonic and Actiontec Miracast adapters
  • Ensures there is no unexpected battery drain while the Surface device is in Connected Standby mode.
  • Resolves KMODE_Exception_Not_Handled system crash when using Excel PowerMap
  • Resolves some instances of Stop 0x9F and Stop 0x133 system crashes.
  • Resolves system hang that could occur if f.lux was enabled by an application.
  • Resolves system crash that could occur when attaching to external monitors immediately after waking the device from sleep or removing it from the docking station.

Marvell Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3073.151)

• As part of ongoing improvements to Wi-Fi experience on Surface Pro 3 device, customers now have the ability to manually select a preference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections for their device. We will publish a separate blog to describe this functionality further so more customers can take advantage of this capability.
  • Modifies power management logic to allow the wireless adapter to function properly when the Hyper-V feature is enabled in Windows.
  • For European Union customers, there are specific requirements outlined in EN 300 328 v1.8.1. This update includes capabilities to stay current on these requirements, including an LE switch to better control energy detection and Bluetooth Power setting.
  • Resolves a low throughput scenario when using Cisco 3702 access points in 11ac mode.

Surface Home Button driver update (v2.0.1179.0)

• Improves compatibility with Surface Hub application.

Surface Integration driver update (v2.0.1182.0)

• Improves compatibility of Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10.

Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update (v1.31.35.7)

• Addresses scenario where no sound would play while the device was docked without an external speaker connected.

Here are the latest update packs for Surface 

Also note

on 03-02-2015

Hi Paul

Thanks I have got all the updates applied and have now swapped my CSV-5300 for a CSV-4000 with new cables to see if the updated technology would help but I’m still stuck with only 2 displays working concurrently at any resolution.  My configuration sequence is
Surface Pro 3-i7-500GB powered up.
mDP-DP passive adaptor connected to Surface mDP port and CSV-5400 powered up.
CSV-5400 DP Port 1 DP-HDMI passive adaptor connected to Dell ST2420L display and set as main display. Surface display disconnected in display settings.
CSV-5400 DP Port 2 DP-DVI passive adaptor connected to Dell ST2210 display.
Duplicate desktop in display settings then extend desktop to Dell ST2210. Both displays working OK at 1920 x 1080 resolution so far.
CSV-5400 DP Port 3 DP-DVI passive adaptor connected to Dell 2009W display. Displays all recognised in display settings but any attempt to duplicate or extend the desktop to the 3rd display fail whatever the resolution.  The same happens in any combination of ports on the CSV-5400 or order the displays are connected in.

Any suggestions?

on 03-02-2015

Hi Richard,
I will run some test tomorrow and see if i can replicate your issue.
Regards

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 04-02-2015

Hi Richard,
I am not sure why you bought the CSV-5400. The Surface 3 can support up to 3 external displays with the tablet screen off. The fourth DP port will not power on.

How many screens can I connect to Surface Pro 2 or Surface Pro 3?

The number of external screens your Surface Pro 2 or Surface Pro 3 will support depends on the refresh rate and resolution settings, and whether the display on your Surface is on or off. For Surface Pro 3 it also depends on which Surface Pro 3 processor you have (i7, i5, or i3).
Surface
Surface display
External displays
Refresh rate
Screen resolution
Surface Pro 2, or
Surface Pro 3 with any processor
On
One
60 Hz
Up to 3840 x 2160
Surface Pro 2, or
Surface Pro 3 with any processor
On
One
24 Hz
Up to 4096 x 2160
Surface Pro 2, or
Surface Pro 3 with i7 or i5 processor
On
Two
60 Hz
Up to 2560 x 1440
Surface Pro 2, or
On
Two
30 Hz
Up to 3840 x 2160
Surface Pro 2, or
Off
Three
60 Hz
Up to 1920 x 1200
Surface Pro 3 with i3 processor
On
Two
60 Hz
Up to 1920 x 1200

Link to source

• Liked by
Cancel
18 on 04-02-2015

Hi Richard,
We have tested the CSV-5300A and CSV-5400 and we are able to power 3 external displays by powering off the Surface display. This is done on the Surface 2, not the 3 as we do not have the latest model.
I am not sure why your third screen does not go on, please check if by pressing the scan button is able to resolve this issue.

on 10-02-2015

Hi Paul

Following endless trouble shooting and swapping cables I still cant get the CSV-5400 to work properly. It wont even support 2 screens on HDMI at all. When it was working with 1 HDMI and 1 DVI and I swapped the MDP2DP6IN 6 inch input cable to a MDP2DPMF3 that was 3 ft long  and specified to work at 21.6 GBbps it would not sync to the 2 screens again.  I confirm that I have pressed the scan button appropriately. All these troubles only started on 18th Jan ie after the graphics card was updated to v10.18.14.4029 and I am now wondering if that is the root cause. even though it seems ok on your surface 2.

on 12-02-2015

All Microsoft support could suggest was refreshing windows which I have done but there is no change, 3 screens will not configure

on 13-02-2015

Hi Richard,
On the MST Hub you have a white sticker attached with a code and firmware version. Can you tell me which version is it?

on 14-02-2015

Its wrapped round the flying lead
BSV-5400
REV:A0-2.1 FW:041A

on 16-02-2015

Hi Richard,
The latest revision is the 0.45, can you send it back to us so we can update the firmware or have it replaced?
Please copy or make a screenshot of this thread and send it to [email protected]
Hopefully it will resolve your problem.
Note that the surface can only support 3 external screens when the surface screen is off. You can always use the CSV-5400 on a discreet graphics card to support up to 4x 1080p screens.
FYI

on 16-02-2015

Thanks I will contact my supplier TechDNA.co.uk first as I am based in the UK.
If I did go for a discreet graphics solution which card would you recommend?

on 16-02-2015

Hi Richard,
For a discreet card it really depends what you want to do with multiple screens.
If you want to go on the budget side I recommend a Radeon R7 260X, it offers decent performance and you can add up to 6 displays by adding a MST Hub 1-3. If you are thinking of doing some serious stuff with multiple screens I suggest to get a R9 290X series card.
Let me know what you want to do and I recommend you a card.
Regards

on 16-02-2015

Hi Paul
When you said discreet I was thinking card external that I could plug into the docking station using USB3 and then displayport to the CSV-5400 with 2 HDMI and 1 DVI displays. The main use is for workflow productivity with simultaneous access to Office 365 apps, browsing and one display streaming 1080p video.

on 17-02-2015

Hi Richard,
A discreet graphics solution to plug into a Docking Station it really depends what connectivity has on the source, in this case your tablet, notebook or desktop and also the docking station you have. This review might help you in your inquiry

on 17-02-2015

Thanks, those are way more than i would want to spend. I was purely thinking of a relatively cheap contingency plan to get 3 displays working on my Surface Pro 3 + Microsoft docking station having invested in the CSV-5400 in case the firmware upgrade doesn’t provide the solution. So you wouldn’t recommend the CSV-2302 USB 3.0 to Displayport 4K Graphics Adapter which is £84 GBP to drive the CSV-5400 connected displays?

on 17-02-2015

Hi RIchard,
You cannot power the CSV-5400 with the CSV-2302, this is not possible. The MST Hub needs to be connected directly to the Surface DP port.

on 01-03-2015

Hi Paul
I have returned my CSV-5400 to Club-3D and have got the firmware updated but sadly it has still not fixed the problem.  I am now back to square one, only 2 displays will work concurrently and 2 HDMI + 1 DVI or 1 HDMI + 2 DVI wont.  Any further suggestions?

on 02-03-2015

Hi Richard,
Did you turn off the Surface display to obtain the third display?

on 03-03-2015

Hi Paul
Yes I disconnected the Surface display before connecting the 2nd external.  The SP3 i7 is also supposed to drive the Surface  display + 2 external in your table above and it wont do that either.

on 03-03-2015

I have contacted Microsoft Surface Support again who have said they can not help any further as the Hub configuration is not officially supported.  As Club-3D advertise the Hub connected to a Surface pro with 3 displays I am utterly frustrated that no one can offer a solution

on 03-03-2015

Hi Richard,
We are in the official program of Designed for Surface, therefore the product is supported. I find it disturbing that they claim that it is not officially supported.

on 19-05-2015

Hi Paul
It is some time since the last post since I had virtually given up getting 3 screens to work again on my Surface Pro 3.  But it seems that the recent Surface Pro 3 System Hardware and Firmware updates have fixed “something” so that now 3 displays work again using the CSV-5400 with 1 HDMI and 2 DVI, despite Microsoft Surface Support never acknowledging that they ever had a problem.  Using the Surface display with 2 external displays works as well. Thanks very much for all your help. Regards Richard

on 19-05-2015

Hi Richard,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad that with the latest updates is making our lives easier hehehe…
Good to hear and keep us posted.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel

I used to have to unplug the adapter, unplug the screens, replug the adapter, replug the screens after undocking and redocking my EliteBook 820 G1 with Intel HD Graphics 4400. Otherwise the screens wouldn’t be detected at all.

But today it Just Worked when I redocked it. Maybe it’s because I rebooted it while docked, like you are describing.

I have the latest HP/Intel graphics driver from the end of 2014, the originally shipped one from 2013 couldn’t detect the screens at all.

• Liked by
Cancel