Fan runs at 100%

Updated on 06-01-2015 in R9 280 Series
11 on 04-01-2015

the fans on the r9 runs at 100% when windows starts. if i uninstall r9 drivers the fans runs quiet… <30% all the time (cold boot and during windows operations). I can force the fan manually through the catalyst manager’s performance settings but not sure if this will cause issues when it overheats.

I’m using the following drivers downloaded from amd

amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe

• Liked by
0 on 04-01-2015

Over here (r9 290 royalace) we use MSI Afterburner to create a custom fan-curve. The same should be possible through CCC.

• Liked by
Cancel
4 on 05-01-2015

what temps are you getting? im wondering if it maybe has a problem with the temp sensor and it thinks its too hot already.

on 05-01-2015

Max 76 degrees C at 40% fan, VRM-1 fluctuates heavily (Voltage Regulator Module).

on 05-01-2015

lol not you Strong 🙂 – Digitals temps

on 05-01-2015
lol not you Strong 🙂 – Digitals tempsFrom StaticFX

damn. mistook you for thread-starter. my bad 😛

on 05-01-2015

lol 😀

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 05-01-2015

Hi Digital,
Sorry to hear about the problem you have.
Can you please deinstall the driver and install the previous Catalyst 14.9? I want to know if you have the same result.
Get back to me when you do this. 
Thank you in advance.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 05-01-2015

Hi StaticFX

catalyst manager->performance displays 0 on the the temperature. I found it odd that uninstalling the amd drivers (making windows thing it’s a generic vga card) turns off the fan.

Hi Paul,
I’ll give the older drivers a shot and report back.

Another problem that’s been an annoyance. I use this video card on my projector/tv. and the underscan “letter boxing” comes back up whenever I turn on the tv. if i close my mce it’ll cause the video card to refresh, that’s when the 0% underscan on the catalyst manager forces it it back to full screen.

on 05-01-2015

correction. does not turn off the fan, just puts the fan at <30%. basically runs fine when the drivers aren’t messing around with the fan.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 06-01-2015

Catalyst drivers are notoriously known to leave stuff like registry keys behind when you uninstall them. If you have played around with the AMD OverDrives fan control or MSI Afterburner or similar program the drivers could’ve left registry keys/appdata that force the manual fan control on at 100%. What you should do is open your CCC, go to Performance/AMD Overdrive. Scroll down to the bottom of the Overdrive page and make sure Enable manual fan control is off.
If it’s already off and you’re not using any other programs that fiddle with GPU settings I’d suggest you get a 3rd party program that does a complete clean uninstall of your catalyst drivers and software.

on 06-01-2015

Before you uninstall and go through all that jazz you could check If the manual fan control is off and it’s still going 100%. Try setting manual control on and set it to say 30% and apply. If that slowed the fan down, Reboot and turn the manual fan control off. With a little bit of luck that “resets” the CCC’s fan control to function properly 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel