HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2 ?

Updated 2 days ago in Adapters and Cables
6 on 23-08-2017

Hi, what do you reckon will be the limitations of having a less updated version of HDCP on the monitors with DP 1.2 ?

on 24-08-2017

Hi Luca,
I reccon that you cannot  play content that requires a higher version of HDCP than you have …

on 24-08-2017

Hi MST1407, you are very kind for your constant support on this thread. Just to be sure: do you mean “media”, when you say “play”? Games from consoles should work as expected? Will next-half-gen consoles just refuse to play 4k media at 60 hz, or will they refuse to work at all? Thank you, again

on 24-08-2017

Anything that requires HDCP 2.2 will require that every device in the chain support at least HDCP 2.2. Things that require that would be, for example, 4K video streaming on Netflix. Other content on Netflix, meanwhile, only requires an older version of HDCP to play. As far as I am aware, games have thus far not required it as of yet (although I do know games have existed that utilize older version of HDCP), however, so you would not need HDCP 2.2 support on every component to play those. MST1407’s comment applies without exception. You cannot play any content that requires a higher version of HDCP than you have, period. If a game were developed by people that decided they wanted to require HDCP 2.2, that would apply to it as well.

on 24-08-2017

On certain conditions, you can convert a hdcp2.2 stream to hdcp1.4, but I don’t know why and when..
You can read about it in the spec, chapter 2.11
https://www.digital-cp.com/sites/default/files/specifications/HDCP%20Interface%20Independent%20Adaptation%20Specification%20Rev2_2_FINAL.pdf

on 24-08-2017

Having said that, there is no doubt that the challenge is more of a legal problem than a techincal. I think the HDCP path has a weakness in the stream between the receiving chip and the LCD panel. Afaik there is no difficult encryption on this link (The processor on the monitor/tv board decrypts the HDCP) But even if you manage to exploit this, you are sticking your hand into the bee-hive, at least if you want to sell it as a product.
If your monitor is capable of digesting an eDP signal on the displayport (unlikely unless you can hack it), you may get away with using the internals of a LCD monitor supporting HDCP2.2 with eDP module support(which I know you can buy on ebay today). It will be more like a “HDCP2.2 monitor simulator”, than an adapter, but it will work 🙂

on 30-08-2017

Very very Interesting read ost, appreciate

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 23-08-2017

Its looking like, there’s going to be a demand for the HDMI 2.0  to DisplyPort 1.2 converter. I am also in need of said converter. This playstation 4 pro problem is only going the esculate the more people buy in to one.

• Liked by
Cancel
2 on 29-08-2017

Hello, i have the same problem guys… i need HDMI TO DP 1.2 4K/60hz. Is avaiable?

on 29-08-2017

not yet no, and because i dont see it on the roadmap yet, it will not come fo sure within the next 3 to 4 months 🙁

on 29-08-2017

I hope so

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 07-09-2017

When will we be getting an HDMI2 to DisplayPort adapter that supports at least 4k60hz?

on 08-09-2017

not yet, and because i dont see it on the roadmap yet, it will not come fo sure within the next 3 to 4 months 🙁

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 08-09-2017

I am wondering the same thing like others; could not find a solution online. Patiently awaiting.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 09-09-2017

It’s never going to come out people. We just have to give up hope and move on. It’s been well over a year now that people have been asking for this converter and nobody has made one yet. Anytime anyone gets a response it’s always “not sure, possibly another 5-6 months”… and then that 5-6 months rolls around and it’s “not yet, maybe another 4-5 months”. We just all have to bite the bullet on being earlier adopters of 4k. We got screwed and this device is still nowhere on the horizion years later.

on 11-09-2017

The reason we dont have a product yet is that no one makes a converter chip that can take HDMI2 and convert it to DisplayPort. All these companies that make adapters just use off the shelf parts and package them and use their mass manufacturing capability to get it to us for a reasonable price.

The only way to get such an adapter before a conversion chip is available on the market would be to use a much more expensive FPGA and design one yourself. Or design one from 100% scratch and send it to the fabs but that is more work and more expensive than an fgpa stopgap product. And fpga version of such a product would most likely cost around the $200 range, which would have very little sales due to the cost. I would buy one, but most people probably wouldnt which is why the cost to make such a product is most likely higher than the income it would provide.

Just have to wait a few more months till the conversion chip is on the market, and then  a few companies will start making products.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 3 days ago

I have been following this post for a while now, and wanted to comment that I really am in need of this adapter. I own Dell’s 8K monitor which only supports Display Ports and I plan to connect my PS4 Pro to the monitor for 4K gaming at 60hz with the best display you can get right now (UP3218K) 

The demand is indeed there.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 2 days ago

Joined this site just to post my interest in this too. I’m getting an Xbox One X and to run 60fps on my 4K monitor I would snap one of these adapters up quick smart.

• Liked by
Cancel