No sound at uhd@60, works @50

Updated on 14-11-2016 in Adapters and Cables
5 on 11-11-2016

Could it be uhd@60 consumes all the bandwidth and there is no place left for the sound transmission? Otherwise, this works great (mbp mid-2015 iris, adapter 7.23, sammy uhd tv).

• Liked by
0 on 11-11-2016

Hi Vojislav, sounds should also work …

please check if there is a driver update aivailable for the Graphics Card, often there is also UHD sound driver in those Driver packs.

Some feedback …

Make sure your MacBook is post mid 2010, the earlier MacBook models do not support audio output through its mini DisplayPort.

System Preferences > Sound. There are 3 tabs in the window; Sound Effects, Output and Input. Be sure you are on the Sound Effects tab. Middle of the window select your TV where it says “Play sound effects through:”.

Select the middle tab named Output.

Select your TV from the drop-down list next to HDMI, below where it says “Select a device for sound output”.

Using either Finder or Launchpad go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

On the left-hand side of the window you should now see HDMI. In the middle of the window, on the Output tab, where it says “Source:” select your TV from the drop-down list.

If you CANNOT see a speaker icon next to HDMI in the list on the left, do the following:

Bottom left of the window select the wheel icon with the down-pointing triangle. Make sure that sound output is selected and that you can now see a speaker icon next to HDMI in the list of devices.

If you still cannot hear sound, Turn everything off , power tv first and then Mac.

• Liked by
Cancel

Eh, everything is configured as you suggest, and the sound goes through on some resolutions (like uhd@50, 1080@50) but it doesn’t work at uhd@60 and 1080@60 hidpi. Meh, it’ll clear out, probably some switchresx thingie 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel

Thanks to notes Alan left I was encouraged to not give up, took another dive, and now I have both uhd@60 chroma 4:4:4 and sound! The trick was not to make a CVT-RB v2 but simply CVT-RB custom resolution in SwitchResX, hope it helps anyone who stumbles upon this.

on 14-11-2016

good to hear you got it to work 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel

Forgot to link up the thread where I learnt timings could be the culprit, here

• Liked by
Cancel