r9 280 crashing while gaming

Updated on 12-01-2016 in R9 280 Series
6 on 07-01-2016

hey guys if anyone could help with this would be muchhhh appreciated.

my specs are
mb: asus m5a99x evo r2.0
cpu: amd fx8320e
cpu cooler: 212 evo
psu: Thermaltake 750W
mem: ripjaws 1866 2 x 4gb
gpu: RoyalKing r9 280

So when i game on this card playing mostly only CS:GO the game will sometimes crash out of nowhere and windows will report video driver failure, if i relaunch game after this crash without restarting computer fully then the entire system will crash to blue screen with display driver error code.

I have tried updating/downgrading drivers and windows done everything i can think of to get this to fix but it still happens even including deleting game caches, reinstalling you name it.

The crash does not happen always in fact its very random sometimes it happens 6 times a day other times once every week or two.

• Liked by
0 on 09-01-2016

Hi,
Are you overclocking your system? If you are, see if you can default your mainboard BIOS settings and see if you have any problems.
Check when you install the graphics driver if you can turn off your system anti-virus. Sometimes this can cause issues.
How is your system temperature? Can you check if you have any dust issues?
Do you have a pencil eraser? If you do, unplug your graphic card and erase the gold finger on both sides. This will improve the graphics card connectivity to the PCI-E slot.
Cheers.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 11-01-2016

hi paul, It has done this since before and after overclock. Have tried reverting back to default and same thing occcurs. Temp never gets over 65 deg C on max load

on 11-01-2016

Did you try the eraser?
Check if you can test the card in a different system or unplug one memory module to see if one of the memory modules is defective.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 11-01-2016

did the eraser trick still happening. I also did the memory trial plus in the past have ran test on sticks before when i thought that was the issue. problem is still happening i downloaded “who crashed” and find differtn crash symptoms twice now. one being this

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1!VidSchiReportHwHang+0x40B)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800BA68010, 0xFFFFF8800400CE98, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: Microsoft Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

and the other one that was just up but is not coming back now was saying ATI Driver failure saying other drivers are confliciting or something. But i have completely erased all display drivers 3 times now  with ddu and reinstalled

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 11-01-2016

this is the other failure !

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8800400CE98)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800BA68010, 0xFFFFF8800400CE98, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

on 12-01-2016

Can you check if you can test the card in a different system to verify if the problem is the card?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel