required hub and 144 htz

Updated on 08-12-2016 in MST Hub
8 on 29-01-2016

Hi I’ve got a triple screen setup I use for a racing sim and would like to use display port to take advantage of the 144 htz of the monitors ( benq xl27’s 1080 p) my video card only has one dp out (nvidia gtx770) and would like to use one of the hubs. Will I get 144 hz using a 1 to 3 hub ?

I do run a second card in sli would a 1-2 hub work on one of the gtx gpu’s if option 1 isn’t possible.
Thanks in advance.

• Liked by
0 on 29-01-2016

Hi Higsy,

A single DP1.2 output has 21.6 Gbps of bandwidth.
A screen running at 1920×1080 @ 144Hz even in 8bpp color depth takes 8.96 Gbps.
Connecting 3 screens in that configuration will not fit thru 1 DP1.2 because 3 x 8.96 = 26.88 Gbps. Here’s a link to a BadnWidth calculator:  http://www.kramerelectronics.com/support/bwcalculator.asp
There you can see what fits and what not …

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 29-01-2016

Thanks for the quick response. Then based on the calculations could I use the Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub DisplayPort 1-2 for two monitors @ 144 hz as using the calculations they equal 17.92 GPS . Then plug that into my first video card and my third monitor plugged into the dp of my second card. Thus achieving 144 hz across all 3.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 29-01-2016

mmm not so sure on that.
Theoretically you are right, but let me check on that first.
1 on the 144Hz for the MST Hub and
2 if you can use actually use the output of the slave card when running in SLI … i mean Nvidia cards my nature are not the most “multi monitor friendly” cards …
get back to you soon

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 29-01-2016

Thanks , I hope it’s possible as I would like to utilize the potential of the screens and avoid buying a newer video card.
Do you work for club-3d ? Do they plan in the future to make an MST hub that will support a higher Gbps that will cover the 144 hz scenario ?

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 02-02-2016

Hi Higsy,

Yes i work at Club3D.
The MST Hubs should support 144Hz just fine.
Not used very often though, since the reason people get an MST Hub is normally to connect as many screens as possible (not so much to get the highest resolution possible). So yes 2 screens at 1080p 144Hz will work thru a MST Hub.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 08-12-2016

Hey! My issue is similiar to the one above. So if my ultrabook has only one displayport 1.2a output (gtx1060), is it possible to connect three screens thru that one port with a 1to3 mst hub in the following style:

One screen 1080p 144hz
Two screens 1080p 60hz

If not, what is the highest possible refresh rate for the two screens, if i want to keep the single “gaming screen” @144hz at all times?

on 08-12-2016

Bandwidth wise that fits yes. However i dount that your notebook will do that. Most notebooks are limited to use of 3 screens in total. Since you notbaook alreadu has its own screen, you are normally not able to conenct more than 2 external screens. Sometimes you can disable the Notebook screen and use 3 external screens. You will need to check that with notbook manufacturer.
Displayport or Mini Displayport is specs wise identical jsut a smaller connector.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 08-12-2016

Okay, thanks. And thats is exactly what i was going to do, to disable the notebook screen at my home desk. I was just sceptic about having screens at different refresh rates. Had never heard if its possible thru a single port or not. But yeah, thanks a lot!

• Liked by
Cancel