Xfinity 5×1 portrait display + CSV-5400 – will not boot to 5×1 by default

Updated on 17-03-2017 in MST Hub
12 on 13-11-2015

Running the following configuration
* AMD Radeaon R9 200 series (driver 14.301.1001.0, BIOS 113-270xCDF-22-W8)
* 5 Asus VN248 displays (24″)
* Xfinity 5×1 portrait
* CSV-5400
* Displayport from the source to HDMI

Problem:
When I boot my PC, it will not boot into the 5×1 mode on start-up.
The only way to get it into 5×1 mode is to press the reset button the CSV-5400 and reboot the PC
Even then, it may or may not boot to 5×1 mode.
It may boot to a single display, or sometimes it will use 2 of the 5 displays, sometimes 3.

I just want to turn on my PC and have it come up with 5×1 display mode every time.

Any ideas???

Regards,

Steve

• Liked by
0 on 13-11-2015

Hi Steve,

You are using an XFX R9 270X ?
What operating system are you using ?

It should be possible to run 4 x 1080p off the MST Hub plus 1 x 1080p off the HDMI output directly off the card.
Make sure the Bios of the mainboard is updated to latest available version ( i know it sounds odd but often really makes a difference) and please make sure Windows is fully updated.
When windows recognized all the screens and resolution and frequency is ok, then go to Catalyst and setup your Eyefinity group. When you are done on the left top in Catalyst yo make a preset, handy to go back to favorite settings with only a few clicks.  

Please also use different power outlet for PC and Screens if at all possible.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 18-11-2015

I know that 15.6 Catalyst works quite well for Eyefinity setups

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 24-11-2015

Hello and thanks for the suggestions, I’ll give them a try and let you know.

The monitors and PC are plugged into different outlets.
I’m running 4 x 1080p off the MST Hub plus 1 x 1080p off the HDMI output directly off the card.

Here’s the information on video card:
XFX Double D Radeon R9 270X DirectX 11.2 R9-270X-CDFC 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.30, 5/26/2014 (Will try updating to latest)

Catalyst version 14.9 

This is driving me nuts!

Regards,

Steve

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 24-11-2015

Well, I updated to the latest bios (I’m running a Fatality ASRock z97 Killer MB, Intel z97 chipset).
Also updated to Catalyst 15.11. I COULD NOT FIND WHERE TO DOWNLOAD CATALYST 15.6!).

Now my machine is worse.

It will not boot into 5×1 mode at all, and it makes the sound of driver plug-and-play over and over again (the banjo sound you get when you add a new device and it keeps trying to find a driver for it). What I’ve noticed is that if I look in the windows display settings, it will keep going back and forth showing me 4 displays and 1 display, each time the sound is made, it changes between showing 4 displays and one display.

You mentioned that when windows recognized all the screens and resolution and frequency is ok, then go to Catalyst and setup your Eyefinity group… are you saying Windows should recognize all 5 displays without the Catalyst sw?

Thanks for your help.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 29-11-2015

Update. I tried using just two.displays…same thing happens. In the display comtrol panel one of the display s disappear and comes back every 12 seconds using the hub. If I plug the displays directly into the video card they both show up and persist in the display control panel and work great. 

This tells menthenproblem is the csv 5400. 

Can I get a.replacement?

Thanks,

Steve

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 30-11-2015

Sorry Knightman for the late reaction.
Yes Windows should recognize all 5 displays even without Catalyst.
“Normally” when you use more than 2 screens without DP input you will need to use active adapters for screens 3 (and 4 and 5 …etc). In this case the MST Hub acts as an active device and therefore you should be able to use “normal” or “passive” cables.
The “temp loss of signal” however does looks like a cable/adapter issue.  Could you let me know which cables and adapter you are using (and length) ?

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 16-12-2015

I use Eyfinity certified Accel mini display port to display port adaptors   to go.from my mini display port connector on my video card to the MST hub. See https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TSDG06/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

From hub to monitor I use cable matters 6 foot DP,  display port++, DP++,  to hdmi cables as.follows

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K2E4QJK/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried a new csv-5400 and still have the same problem!

Any ideas? Has anyone got 5×1 portrait working with the CSV-5400?
I’ve spent a ton of money on this set-up – 5 monitors, 5 very expensive stands, csv-5400, high end PC, cables you name it. The only reason I did it was for 5×1 portrait.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 16-12-2015

Hi Steve,
Cables are fine, MST Hub is fine, Graphics Card is fine, must be the software.
Win10 i asusme. IF you used an update to go to WIN 10, please try this:

Make sure your documents/pictures/music etc. is safe. Go to settings, recovery, reset this PC, chose Remove Everything (you should have your personal files safely copied on USB stick or USB HDD).

Such clean install of WIN10 normally make the system work better and will also remove older versions of the OS which safes you lots of space.

on 29-12-2015
Hi,

I reinstalled Windows 10 (using settings/update and security/recovery/re-set) and tried connecting the displays one at a time. I continue to not be able to get all 5 displays connected at the same time. The results of connecting the displays to the MST Hub 1 at a time were irregular. I estimate I tried it 50 times. I was able to get 3 displays to come on (sometimes) but not the 4th. At each failure I would push the re-set button on the MST hub, or unplug the power cord, and restart my PC, and then plug in displays one at  a time. Several times, 3 displays was possible but not a forth. A couple of times I was able to get 4 displays to work, but then when I tried to plug in the 5th display, (using the second mini-display port on the video card) it would not work.

I spent 8 hours doing this testing today, on a completely clean system. It simply doesn’t work.

I’m very frustrated, I have spent a lot of money on this system to be able to play flight sim on 5×1 eyefinity but can’t get it to work.

I wonder if I was to run two of the CSV-5300 (vs 5400) hubs so that there was only 3 DP’s on each output of the video card, would that work.

Hi,

I reinstalled Windows 10 on my machine (using settings/update and security/recovery/re-set) and tried connecting the displays one at a time. I continue to not be able to get all 5 displays connected at the same time. The results of connecting the displays to the MST Hub 1 at a time were irregular. I estimate I tried it 50 times. I was able to get 3 displays to come on (sometimes) but not the 4th. At each failure I would push the re-set button on the MST hub, or unplug the power cord, and restart my PC, and then plug in displays one at  a time. Several times, 3 displays was possible but not a forth. A couple of times I was able to get 4 displays to work, but then when I tried to plug in the 5th display, (using the second mini-display port on the video card) it would not work.

I spent 8 hours doing this testing today, on a completely clean system. It simply doesn’t work.

I’m very frustrated, I have spent a lot of money on this system to be able to play flight sim on 5×1 eyefinity but can’t get it to work. I tried to buy everything designed to work together (R9 200, certified adaptors etc).

What should I do?

I wonder if I was to run two of the CSV-5300 (vs 5400) hubs so that there was only 3 DP’s on each output of the video card, would that work.

Please let me know if there is a way we could talk real-time for support. I’ve spent a lot of time on this but getting no where.

Thanks,

Steve
206-949-2176

Please let me know if there is a way we could talk real-time for support. I’ve spent a lot of time on this but getting no where.

Thanks,

Steve

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 29-12-2015

Hi Steve,

I believe you have been in contact with our RMA department who answered on this one.

best regards,

Marcel

on 16-03-2017

Hi,

This still isn’t working and I would like a refund. You may be wondering why it has taken so long to reply. Well, I finally received a replacement from the RMA dept, and it didn’t work either. I was so frustrated I just threw my hands up in the air and gave up. It makes me mad, I spent a crazy amount of money on this system. I purchased 5 displays, a very expense mount to allow for xfinity 5×1 portrait, new video card, 5 cables, the MST hub – do you know how much $ all of that is?

I have the MST Hub in the original packaging and want to return it for a full refund. It-doe-not-work.

Please advise.

Steve

on 17-03-2017

Hello Knightman,

Verry sorry to hear it still does not work for you.
However the fact that you recieved a new and tested CSV-5400 from the RMA department tells me that the problem is not really coming from the CSV-5400 …
Anyway i do repsect your frustration of course, however i think refunds you can only claim for the place you purchased the goods  …

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel