Lenovo L14 (HDMI) + Apple Studio Display + CAC-1333

Updated on 12-09-2023 in Adapters and Cables
10 on 05-09-2023

Hi to all,

I have a Lenovo L14 as workstation that I want to connect to my personal Apple Studio Display.

To do this, I buyed a CAC-1333.

I connected the HDMI side to Lenovo and the USB TYPE C side through the thunderbolt cable of the Apple Studio Display.
The result is that the ASD flicker a lot and it s not usable at all.

What is wrong? Could you guys help me?

• Liked by
0 on 05-09-2023
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 06-09-2023

A CAC-1332 might be preferable because it includes a USB 2.0 connection to support the USB devices of the display (audio, camera, brightness control, USB ports, etc.). I don’t think club-3d makes the CAC-1332 anymore. In that case, there’s the CAC-1336 which can do 5K, unlike the earlier adapters, but that depends on the GPU.

I don’t know if the CAC-1332 or CAC-1336 will work better with the Apple Studio Display than your CAC-1333.

One thing I would try is replacing the Thunderbolt cable with a normal USB cable (10 Gbps).

Another thing I would try is putting a Thunderbolt 4 hub between the adapter and the display. It helps with the CAC-1336 for non-USB-C displays.

Exactly which Lenovo L14 do you have?

The Lenovo L14 only has HDMI 1.4? That might be good enough for 1440p60.

Doesn’t the Lenovo L14 have a USB-C port that supports USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode? I would try that.

on 06-09-2023

Hi joevt, firt of all thanks for your reply.

I already tried to replace the thunderbolt cable with a belkin cable and the apple ipad usb-c cable but both of them do not work at all. I mean the ASD do not power on at all.

I can try with the Lenovo HUB but honestly i do no undesterstand how it can help.

The Lenovo L14 in my knowledge has this ports:

• HDMI 1.4b

• x1 USB-C first gen

• x1 USB-C second gen

this is the link of the tech specification of the lenovo: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_L14_Gen_1_AMD/ThinkPad_L14_Gen_1_AMD_Spec.pdf

Then what u suggest to do?

on 06-09-2023

I just tried with the Lenovo Usb-c mini dock (lenovo 40au0065it) but the result is the same 🙁 flickering all time

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 08-09-2023

The spec says both USB-C ports support DisplayPort 1.2 so that’s what I would use to connect the display.

The USB-C cable needs to be able to support 10 Gbps data transfer.

Some USB-C cables are only for charging which means they are USB 2.0 only (480 Mb/s). I suppose if you used such a cable then you wouldn’t see any image at all – no flickering – just black – like no connection.

Have you verified with another computer that the Apple Studio Display works without flickering?

Update graphics drivers?

on 10-09-2023

yes obviously with my Mac Studio it works perfectly but… what is the difference between a cable 3.1 and the thunderbolt 4. I mean I do not want to buy another useless cable… are u sure that could be some differences?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 10-09-2023

No, I am not sure.

A Thunderbolt 4 cable should work. But since it doesn’t, then what is there for you to do?

Basically, when trouble shooting a problem, it helps to find what works by replacing parts – drivers, computer, gpu, cable, display, etc.

Have you verified with another display that the L14 can output a signal from its USB-C ports?

The Studio Display is not Thunderbolt 4 so it might not have a Thunderbolt 4 cable. It might be a Thunderbolt 3 cable.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 11-09-2023

Hi joevt and herringbur,

I just tried with a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cable retro compatible with usb-c 3.1 at 10gbps.

the result is that only the audio of ASD works… no image at all….

:'( idk how to do

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 12-09-2023

Is the display detected at least? Maybe you need to check the display mode. Choose a 4K or 1440p mode, RGB. Check the EDID with Custom Resolution Utility.

Maybe search elsewhere for help. Google the following:
“apple studio display” “windows”

On MacRumors.com, one of the results is:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-studio-display-windows-compatibility.2338993/

• Liked by
Cancel