• All
  • Members Lounge
  • USB Type C
  • Docking Station
  • MST Hub
  • USB Graphics
  • Adapters and Cables
    • DisplayPort 1.4 to 4K120Hz HDMI Adapter
  • Graphics cards
    • R9 Series
      • R9 Fury Series
      • R9 390 Series
      • R9 380 Series
      • R9 290 Series
      • R9 280 Series
      • R9 270 Series
    • R7 Series
      • R7 300 Series
      • R7 260 Series
    • R5 Series
    • Others
    • HD 7000 Series
  • Technology
  • Market Place
    • Hot Deals
    • For Sale or Trade
  • Warranty questions
  • Never Settle Campaign
  • News

Club 3D Insights

  • Unfollow
  • Follow
  • Profile
  • Logout

Mini displayport 1.2 or 1.4 adapter for 2012 iMac?

Updated on 18-02-2022 in Adapters and Cables.
  • Close
  • Delete
2 0 on 10-02-2022
MrBenn

Hi there, I’m looking for a 4K mini displayport to HDMI adapter to use with a late-2012 iMac. Should I buy the 1.2 to HDMI adapter or the 1.4? Will either work with a 2012 iMac? I’ve tried another brand adapter which was a 1.4 and it sent video ok but wouldn’t pick up the TV in audio outputs. I have an old cheap adapter that works fine, but I don’t know if it’s a 1.2 or a 1.4 adapter. Thanks.

Insert Image Size must be less than < 5MB.
Save Cancel
Reply
0 0 on 14-02-2022
Baak

Use the CAC-1180.

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2443/mini_displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_2.0b_hdr/

It is DP1.4 to HDMI2.0 it is downwards compatible.

Insert Image Size must be less than < 5MB.
Save Cancel
Show more replies
Reply
Reply Cancel
0 0 on 18-02-2022
joevt

iMac 2012 has Thunderbolt 1 ports. You might be limited to 4K 30Hz or 2560×1600 60Hz.

On a newer Intel Mac, the AGDCDiagnose command can get info about DisplayPort adapters such as the version of DisplayPort.

I made a utility called AllRez which should work with other Macs to do the same thing. It’s still a work in progress.

 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/solved-8k-displays-running-on-mac-pro-any-what-video-cards-would-work-that-support-8k-hdmi-2-1-displayport-1-4-2-0-displays-on-mac-pro-yes-you-can.2309750/post-30760662

 

Insert Image Size must be less than < 5MB.
Save Cancel
Show more replies
Reply
Reply Cancel
Login to Reply
Insert Image Size must be less than < 5MB.
Reply Cancel
  • All Posts
  • Following Posts
  • Blog
Copyright 2026 Club 3D B.V.