Adapters with MAC’s 2017 Build

Updated on 24-07-2017 in Adapters and Cables
9 on 18-07-2017

Hi All,

We have heard many strange issues with Adpaters not working on MAC’s 2017 Build where they are working fine on MAC;’s 2016 Build.
These issues all seem to be solved by using OS Version:
10.12.6 Beta (16G24b) (“Public Beta Version 5”)

Kind regards.

• Liked by
7 on 18-07-2017

Hi, I also have Problems on my 2017 Macbook Pro 13  with Touch (latest Mac OS updates and latest Windows 10 updates installed). Both the Displayport Adapter (CAC-1507) and the HDMI Adapter (CAC-1504) don’t work at all on both of the operating systems. No Signal on my external 2K display with the displayport adapter and no signal on my 4K Samsung TV with the HDMI Adapter. Maybe the Mac OS beta solves the problem, but what about Windows 10 ? Can you send me the latest firmware for both of the adapters ?

on 19-07-2017

Good day szrylmz,

For windows system, which graphics card is inside your system and/or which CPU ?

In general …

–          Setup

Setups with TV’s normally work best by making a custom resolution, in this case for: 3840*2160 at 60 Hz with Timing Standard set to CVT-RB (Reduced Blanking).

(For setups with Monitors Timing Standard can remain on “auto”.)

On most TV’s you will need to do some settings like “Enhanced Mode”/ “PC-Mode” and/or “UHD Color” for the HDMI 2.0 port in use. 

Please make sure the HDMI port of the Screen/TV supports 4K 60 Hz, often not all HDMI inputs support that.

Please make sure the Software of the TV is updated
Please make sure to use an HDMI cable capable of doing 4K 60Hz and/or 18Gbps.

CAC-1507 is a passive adapter that does not do any signal conversion. It uses the Displayport signal coming out of the Source System and just changes the connector from USB C to DP. No Firmware updates needed for this one.
CAC-1504 is a different story, i will have [email protected] send you latest available firmware (0x55) by email.

on 19-07-2017

Hi MST1407, the 2017 Macbook 13 with Touch contains Intel Iris Graphics 650 which is capable of Alternate Mode normally. It’s about Windows and OSX both on this machine. Windows is installed in normal fashion not with virtualisation or something. Latest Windows 10 64bit is not able to find a driver for both of the adapters. In the device List you can see the so called billboard device with a name something like “alt mode device”. You don’t come to the point where you could choose the additional display and set different resolutions, because an additional display is never shown regardless of which adapter or cable is used. I have a passive adapter from another vendor which is working sometimes, but it can just do 4K at 30Hz and is not reliable at all on both operating systems. 

By the way the CAC-1507 is advertised as an active adapter which irritates me now a little bit. Regarding CAC-1504 I’ll be happy to get the firmware from the support and give you feedback. Please let me know if I can give you additional information and try something to find a solution.

Best,
Sezer

on 19-07-2017

Normally all USB C Adapters need to be active, so i can understand the mistake (made it myself as well in the beginning). However since the video signal is in fact a displayport signal, in the cas of CAC-1507 / CAC-1517 not need to convert any signal.
In all other cases (that i know of) USB C Adapters are active.
By the way where did see it advertized as being Active ? Needs to be changed ..

–          Custom Resolution Intel Graphics Software

Making that Custom resolution in the Intel Graphics Driver should be something like this …

Open Intel Graphics Control Panel, Choose “Custom Resolutions” (left bottom option) It will asks you if you wish to continue; YES
Standard the “Basic” setting is shown, click on “Advanced” , make sure you make this custom resolution for the correct screen (left bottom)
Fill in; Width 3840 ; Height 2160 ; Refresh Rate 60 ; Set Timing Standard to CVT-RB for use with TV (and for use with Monitor you can leave that on “Auto”). 

If possible please set Color Depth BPC to 8 Bit. and click on “ADD” on the right bottom of the window. Now this resolution I added to the system and can be chosen. 
Go back to “General Settings”(left top) , it will show the basic options and here you can now choose the 3840×2160 resolution at 60Hz. 
(You might need to so a reboot first)

In MAC OS you might need a program like SwitchResX to be able to do Custom Resolution Settings.

If you had SwitchResX already, it sometimes to make a clean install of SwitchReX and/or make a new user.

We do have user feedback that they have it running without such setting on 10.12.4, this does sometimes involve making new user or even re-installing the OS completely …

Apparently old files are “in the way” when using the upgrade feature …

I have no any addition applications (like SwitchResX) on my macBook. I have no any changed settings (only system defaults). After a lot of experiments with system settings, I reinstalled my macBook. And I have good result on my TV (3840×2160@60Hz 4:4:4). Next is screenshot of my system information if you need

If I understand right TVs recognize your device as “unknown” HDMI device (like dvd player with HDMI or BlueRay for example) as default. So need to “say” to TV that its device is the PC (or something like this) only. It is was not clearly In my TVs.

on 19-07-2017

Hi, Thank you for your response. I will try the firmware for the HDMI Adapter and the other solutions for the Displayport Adapter when I am at home. The Info that the 1507 is active can be found on the packaging I have. The picture on the website has just “Adapter” under “USB 3.1 Type C to DisplayPort 1.2 UHD” but on my packaging it says “Active Adapter” and also the back contains wrong description. There is text about your Gigabit Ethernet adapter in different languages on the back. I assume it is faulty packaging you already changed. The website where I baught it also advertises as Active: https://www.compuland.de/product_info.php/Club-3D-USB-3-1-Typ-C-DP-S-B_1032029.html

on 20-07-2017

thanks for the feedback

on 21-07-2017

Hi,

The support team sent me the firmware update for the HDMI Adapter, thanks for that. Unfortunately the update software was not able to detect the intel iris 650 graphics, so I was not able to update the adapter. In the end it was impossible to make both of the adapters work with neither windows nor mac os on the 2017 model macbook 13 with touchbar. Seems to be some incompatibility with the new 650 graphics chip. Had to send the adapter back to the dealer.

Best regards

on 21-07-2017

Hi szrylmz,
Very sorry to hear this.

However we tested CAC-1507 as well as CAC-1504 on MacBook Pro 2017 ( HD 640 Graphics) with OS version 10.12.6 Beta and that work fine.
So the problem is not that the Intel Graphics is incompatible with the Adapters.
I would advise you to update MAC OS to 10.12.6 Beta, am covninced that would solve most of the issues (if not all).

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 24-07-2017

Final version 10.12.6 is teste and working well 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel