CAC-1070 & Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar Issues

Updated on 29-11-2017 in Adapters and Cables
3 on 26-11-2017

Hi all,

I’m trying to get 5.1 audio out of my PC to my 5.1 soundbar using my video card.  When I connect to the soundbar using the HDMI port of my video card (soundbar has HDMI in) it detects 6 channels no problem.

However, when I connect to my soundbar using the CAC-1070 DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, it only detects 2 channels.  The website clearly states “Supporting up to 8 channels of audio, the adapter provides Ultra High Definition digital audio and video.”

Tested multiple cables and they all work when it’s HDMI>HDMI, but no dice when using the CAC-1070.  The optical input on the soundbar is already taken up by the optical out of my TV.

What do you think the problem is?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

• Liked by
2 on 27-11-2017

Hi Raisk,

We are not familiar and/or have not tested with the Vizio Soundbar (yet).

The issue could be that the system does not recognize the soundbar and therefor does not give you the option of 5.1 or 7.1 sound, but I could for instance also be that your HDMI cable not providing enough bandwidth.

How is your setup exactly?

What PC System you have (CPU/OS)?

What Graphics is inside?

What HDMI Cables do you use (brand/type)?

What sound playback devices are visible in your Sound/playback devices?

on 29-11-2017

Thank you for the quick response!

I’ve determined it’s an issue with “active” adapters.  I’ve managed to get it to work with a “passive” DVI>HDMI adapter and am now able to get 5.1 sound using my video card.

This is the thread that led me to try a passive adapter:
http://support.plugable.com/plugable/topics/displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-multi-channel-audio

As far as I can tell, the chip inside the active adapter (i.e. CAC-1070) does something to prevent Windows from recognizing the 6 channel audio functionality.

The reason I went through this trouble is because the CAC-1070 is not HDR compatible.

My system (for reference) is as follows:

CPU:  i7-2600K
Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 TI AMP! Extreme
HDMI Cable Brand:  One is Vizio, not sure about the other one, however I can get 4k @ 60Hz using either cable.
TV:  Vizio M65-D0
Soundbar:  Vizio SB-4551-D5

My current set up is now as follows:

TV is connected to my video card via HDMI>HDMI
Soundbar is connected to my video card via HDMI>DVI using at DVI-HDMI passive adapter connected to the DVI port of my video card.

Can get 4k @ 60Hz 4:4:4 8-bit or 4:2:2 12-bit on my TV and 5.1 sound out of my soundbar.

on 29-11-2017

Hi Raisk,
Good to hear you got yoru beautifull setup working.
And thanks for the feedback.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel