CAC-1557, Apple Studio Display, RTX 3080, Windows 10 intermittendly working

Updated on 21-02-2023 in Adapters and Cables
3 on 10-12-2022

Hello! 

I have an RTX 3080 and an Apple Studio Display. I did want to use the CAC-1557 to connect the Thunderbolt4 on the Studio Display with the RTX 3080 Displayport Output. 

In parallel, I run a VR set. 

Right now, sometimes it works. But when I restart the computer, nothing works (even a standard DP Display). 

Has anyone solved this riddle yet? Is there another wire I should use?

Thank you, 

Jens

• Liked by
0 on 14-12-2022

Does it also happen when the VR set is not connected?

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 29-12-2022

Yes it does. 

The handshake of the Nvidia card with the screen is the problem: 

• Another screen needs to be present 
  • The cable needs to be plugged in to the screen first (having the pc stacked away I never tried that before) 
  • The cable needs to be plugged in to the video card second.
  • Then, I can unplug the helping screen.
  • When I reboot I need to crawl under the desk and start over the charade.

I guess the wire is not to be blamed, but the windows drivers.. My Lenovo Laptop has two Thunderbolt output and a USB-C with DP alternate mode. Studio display works using a TB4 wire (including Webcam, Audio) on the USB-C but not on the Thunderbolt 4 (which results in a black screen, but being listed in the TB4 tool as properly connected)

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 21-02-2023

Hi everyone, 

I found a good solution for my specific problem. I have another display connected (but not necessarily active in display settings). Specifically I am using a display port dummy plug hoping it does not break my expensive 3080 video card.. 

I can use the screen post-boot, when the windows login screen comes. 

However, I need to plug in the wire into the screen first before windows tries to find it (while boot/before starting the pc). 

All is well but sometimes the screen shows partial white noise (unable to make a screenshot yet, will attach soon). Now I am worried that this problem breaks my screen. 

Reconnecting the wire and restarting the computer solves the partial white noise flickering of the screen. 

Is this maybe caused by the wire? 

When connecting my laptop with usb-c via the thunderbolt wire (or the MacBook I typically use) the problem does not exist, so it is not a windows / display issue. 

Thank you

Jens 

• Liked by
Cancel