CAC1170 + Intel 4600 Can only achieve 4k30Hz

Updated on 09-04-2016 in Adapters and Cables
3 on 12-02-2016

Hi,

I recently got the Mini-DP to HDMI 2.0 CAC 1170 adapter to connect my Dell XPS 15 9530 to my Samsung JU6400 48″ 4K TV. I can only set it to 30Hz maximum which is the same as what I can achieve thought using the laptop’s HDMI 1.4 port to the TV’s HDMI 2.0 port. So currently the adapter offers me no benefit. I have tried setting the input on the TV to PC and also set the port to UHD Colour mode. None makes any difference. My laptop definately is able to easily output 4k60z to monitors via the DP cable so it isn’t a hardware issue at my end. Can anyone help? Liam

• Liked by
0 on 12-02-2016

I would try PowerStrip (if using Windows) and force a custom modeline.  The EDID with my Samsung TV is returning an invalid set of timings, but I was able to override them.  I would copy the timings using one of the 4k monitors that works.

I’m on a macbook, so I can’t be more specific. 

Hopefully they will get the firmware EDID stuff worked out further.  I’m sure the challenge is substantial.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 15-02-2016

Hi Iianfoneill,

Assuming the system is outputting 4:4:4 that means when choosing 3840×2160 at 60Hz the color depth needs to go down to 8Bit otherwise the signal get too big for HDMI2.0.
Not sure if that Intel Graphics Software will allow you to do so standard. I do hear about little apps that let you make and overwrite the standard settings … did not test with that myself (yet).

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 09-04-2016

In case someone stumbles onto this thread, Liam figured out the solution (which works for me too): Instructions here.

• Liked by
Cancel