Club 3D, CAC-1170 Mac Pro Mini Display to USB with LG 34UM58 Ultra Widescreen

Updated on 07-04-2017 in Adapters and Cables
4 on 28-03-2017

I”m using the Club 3D, CAC-1170 along with you USB Cable to attempt to connect an LG 34UM58 Ultra Wide Screen Monitor.  It does not work, I get no connection on the monitor.  When I use a normal Mini Display adapter to USB it works but only at 1080p.  The reason I bought your Club 3D, CAC-1170 was so I could use the monitors higher resolution capabilities.

I have been able to get the higher resolutions on my LG 29″ Ultra Wide Screen no problem with my existing Mini Display to HDMI adapter. I had read to be abel to get the higher resolution of my new monitor I needed an Active Mini Display to HDMI so I bought yours as everything I read indicated that it would work.

I’m using this on a 2009 12 Core Mac Pro computer.  I read somewhere that you can provide me drivers/firmware to allow me to use this properly.  Here are the specs from my video card:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120:
  Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  Slot: Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 512 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x0640
  Revision ID: 0x00a1
  ROM Revision: 3386
  Displays:
LG ULTRAWIDE:
  Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)
  Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Rotation: Supported
  Television: Yes

Software  OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

Processor  2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

• Liked by
1 on 29-03-2017

Hello Barryjohns,

What resolution are you trying ?
I mean i can see the standard resolution for the screen is 2560×1080 and i am sure the adapter should be able to do that. But you should also be able to do that with the HDMI and or Dual Link DVI outputs of the card directly … 
If MAC OS does not allow you to choose that 2560×1600 @ 60Hz option i would recommend you to use a program like SwitchResX to make such resolution. For setups with Monitors you can leave the Timing Standard on “auto” adn for setups with TV it is best to put that on CVT-Reduced Blanking (RB).

I can ask [email protected] to send you the latest firmware, however it does not sound to me that this is where the issue comes from …

on 03-04-2017

Hi Barry, i was checking your Graphics Card and if I am not mistaking this is Tesla based GPU, and these are not compatible with the CAC-1070 / CAC-1170 adapters.
Older GPU technologies then Maxwell are not supported unfortunately 🙁

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 06-04-2017

Is there a recommended video card that is compatible with my system and the monitor adapter?

on 07-04-2017

Compatible graphics cards are AMD Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, Nvidia Maxwell GPU (GMxxx coded) based and newer, Intel Haswell CPU’s with Integrated Graphics.

Note: Nivdia GTX750(Ti) are Maxwell based but other GTX700 series is mostly Kepler based, you can see that from the GPU code Maxwell start with “GMxxx” where Kepler is “GKxxx”.

As long as your screen has a HDMI 2.0 input capable of receiving a 4K 60Hz video signal that part should be ok.

As for your system goes I am not sure (not an apple expert) but I would think that in a system where an Nvidia card is already running, it should also be able to take on take a GTX750 (Ti) or newer. Just watch out a bit for the power usage of a new Graphics Card, I mean that your PSU from your system is able to feed that …

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel