GTX1080 > CAC-1557 > MSI MPG341CQR Issues

Updated on 11-01-2021 in USB Type C
3 on 07-01-2021

I purchased the CAC-1557 and have it connected to my windows desktop to a Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU. As far as I’m aware the GPU should be able to support DisplayPort 1.4 as well as DisplayPort Alt-Mode. 

I’m connecting to the USB-C port on an MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR monitor (https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MPG341CQR). The port on this monitor requires a DisplayPort Alt-Mode connection. 

So far when using the CAC-1557 it works most of the time, but I have noticed intermittent issues. Mainly if the monitor goes to sleep I can hear windows make the device disconnected sound and then monitor wakes up for a couple of seconds and then goes back to sleep. 

When I try and move the mouse to wake the monitor up usually the monitor will not detect a connection unless I power cycle the monitor. Usually everything is fine after that, however there are instances where the display will be limited to YCbCr420 color format & “limited” dynamic range in the Nvidia Control panel. When this happens I have to power cycle the display in order to correct this issue. 

I’ve also noticed that the monitor at times does not detect the computer until it is booted into windows, but this is somewhat inconsistent. 

• Liked by
0 on 08-01-2021

Hi Aaramirez,

Did you update the GTX1080s Firmware since you bought it? (not drivers)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

The sound occurs because the screen loses power. See it as if you connect a phone and disconnect it again. Windows simply sees it as a USB device I think.

Does it also happens when you use a normal 1.4DP cable? 

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 09-01-2021

Hi Baak, 

I’ve updated the GPUs firmware, running that tool shows that the update is not needed. 

I don’t have issues when using a normal DP 1.4 cable. 

on 11-01-2021

Hi Aaramirez,

I have no idea why a cable like this would cause these issues at all.  Have you spoken with MSI about this yet? Sounds like the “handshake” does not stay when the monitor goes asleep.

Also, why not just use the DP cable? The USB-C doesn’t bring anything extra in the resolutions afaik.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel