is csv-7300 capable of sending sending same res with different refresh rate to two ports?

Updated on 28-06-2021 in MST Hub
4 on 21-06-2021

I have a very specific use case, I have a main display that I need too drive up to 3840×1080@over120hz,and I need to capture it via a capture card. The capture card I have only supports pass-through resolution up to 4K@60, so even though it can support my very weird resolution, it can’t be driven over 60hz. My solution now is to find a splitter that has enough bandwidth to support the main display’s res and refresh rate and also able to send the same resolution but with different refresh rate to my capture card simultaneously. Since I have no idea how a splitter functions, I came to here to get some answers… hope someone can reply me soon, and I would very much appreciate it.

• Liked by
2 on 21-06-2021

Hi MavsJay,

Just checking, Which GPU do you use? Are all the DP ports on your GPU used? Have you tried mirroring over a DP port to the capture card?

on 21-06-2021

We have a 2080Super GPU in our PREDATOR HELIOS 700,which is a laptop,so it only has one DP port, and it’s used to power the main display. It still has two Thunderbolt ports and an HDMI port remain unused though. I’ve tried to mirror the main screen to the capture card, and it can support the custom resolution that I setup in the Nvidia contral panel, but it can’t support refresh rate over 60hz while in that resolution, meaning that the main display is going to be limited to the same refresh rate as the capture card. Now, i’m not so sure about what you mean by”mirroring over a DP port to the capure card” Maybe you could explain it more about it?

on 22-06-2021

Never mind about the mirroring, I hoped you had a PC GPU instead of a Notebook GPU.

The CSV-7300 is capable of outputting 3 x @ 4K60Hz with DSC 1.2. Technically it should work, but how are you supposed to send out 2 of the same signals with different framerates. I would not know how to achieve this.

Your resolution is 18Gbp/s @ 10 bits. The capture card should be able to handle this. Because 4K60Hz is the same bandwidth.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 28-06-2021

The CSV-7300 is not a splitter. It is a DisplayPort 1.4 MST Hub. It allows connecting multiple displays to a single DisplayPort output. The GPU must do all the work of creating the streams that are to be output. Therefore, the only reason you would use the CSV-7300 is if your GPU doesn’t have enough outputs, which you say is true in your case.

An MST Hub can duplicate a single stream to multiple outputs. But since the streams are the same, they must have the same resolution and refresh rate. This feature is not what you want.

So the only way you can do what you want to do is use mirroring from the GPU to the display and capture card through the MST Hub. It should work but it uses additional resources of the GPU so there might be a slight performance difference.

I’m not sure how well mirroring works in Windows. In macOS, I can mirror to two 4K displays one at 60Hz and the other at 95Hz (not using MST Hub since macOS doesn’t support MST Hub).

Before you enable mirroring, try to get one display set to 120Hz and a second one set to 60Hz from the MST Hub. You need to get two separate displays working before you can try to mirror them. You might need to use CRU to create a custom resolution if the resolution you want is not available.

I guess first thing you should verify is that a display connected to the DisplayPort output is actually connected directly to the Nvidia GPU instead of the integrated Intel GPU. Check Device Manager and view by Connection Type.

Your laptop has Thunderbolt ports that support two displays but they may be connected to Intel GPU? Connect a display with a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter or cable and check Device Manager. A smart laptop like a MacBook Pro would connect Thunderbolt displays and internal display to the discrete GPU instead of the iGPU.

The iGPU in a Comet Lake CPU is limited to DisplayPort 1.2 so you’ll want to make sure it’s not being used for display output.

Normally an Nvidia GPU can output a max of 4 displays. Your laptop has 5 outputs though so I’m not sure what’s going on (two Thunderbolt, HDMI, DisplayPort, internal display). If you don’t have 5 displays to test, you can get inexpensive dummy adapters that fake a display.

An Intel GPU can connect 3 displays. I don’t know if there exist an laptops that will let you connect displays to both GPUs at the same time.

• Liked by
Cancel