M1 with two 30-inch cinema displays

Updated on 22-09-2021 in Adapters and Cables
5 on 19-09-2021

Hi,

I’m trying to get TWO 30-inch cinema displays running on my M1 MPB 12″ (macOS 11.6). ONE works totally fine but does anyone know if and how I can get TWO running? 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Theorix

• Liked by
0 on 20-09-2021

Hi Theorix,

You can’t connect 2 displays to the M1 unfortunately. But with the help of a DisplayLink docking station it should be possible.

Check out the CSV-1562.

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2472/usb3.2_gen1_type_c_universal_triple_4k60hz_60w_charging_dock/

But then again the Apple Cinema Displays come with DVI right? And I don’t know if you can convert the DVI to Display with an adapter and then go trough the dock..

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 21-09-2021

Hi Baak,

thank you for your reply.

You CAN connect many displays to the M1 as many youtube videos demonstrate it (look for Ruslan Tulupov for example). I think the problem is the MiniDisplayPort or the DualLink DVI… I can connect one without any problem (I have in the meantime a handful of adapters…) but as soon as I connect the second 30″ display nothing happens. When I plug in a 27″ Thunderbolt 3 Apple Display it works… 

Maybe I’ll try your suggestion and hope that it’ll work…

Thanks!

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 22-09-2021

The examples of many displays connected to M1 Mac are using DisplayLink for all of the displays except the internal laptop display or HDMI display and one display connected to Thunderbolt.

DisplayLink just needs a USB connection to work (and driver). There are many docks and adapters that include DisplayLink. The CSV-1562 is one of them. 
Seems DisplayLink is now part of Synaptics now. They’re website has changed.
https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/displaylink-products-list
Not all products that include DisplayLink are listed on the DisplayLink products page, including the CSV-1562 (actually, the DUSTIN PORT REPLICATOR TRIPLE 4K DOCK looks like it might be the same as the CSV-1562).

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 22-09-2021

Thank you joevt!

So, DisplayLink might be the way to go? I’ll try and will report.

Thanks!

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 22-09-2021

I have two ACD 30″ connected to my Mac mini M1! One via USB-c and one via HDMI. The only problem I have is that the one connected to HDMI only gives me 1280 resolution. If I try 2560 it goes black. I have a HDMI to DUAL LINK DVI adapter so it should work. I’m thinking that it doesn’t have DUAL LINK even though it states it.  

• Liked by
Cancel