MST (CSV-5300H) hub and MacBook Pro 15

Updated on 15-08-2017 in MST Hub
5 on 31-07-2017

Does anyone know if MST hubs like CSV-5300H work with the new MacbookPro 15″ Thunderbolt3(USB-C)? From different sources on the internet I understand it currently works on a mac only in windows mode with bootcamp and that it will work natively with OS X in High Sierra. I have a video projection project starting next week for which I plan to use the hub with the new Macbook pro

Ben

• Liked by
4 on 31-07-2017

Good day Ben,

I have no knowledge that the latest Sierra version would support Multi Stream Transport (MST) feature. Please check that to make sure.
You should be able to feed 3 screens with a Macbook Pro,  if you use 3 external screens you probably would need to disable the notebook screen.

on 31-07-2017

I will need the notebook screen to run video/music/light control software during projection. I’m considering using the MST hub instead of expensive graphic extension modules such as Matrox TrippleHead that are normally used for multiple video projection. The MST hub is about a third the cost of a Matrox triplehead. If it works  works on the MacBookPro one could output to 6 video projectors using just 2 MST hubs connected to 2 USBC ports on the Mac and still have the other ports free for charging and other peripherals (cameras, external drives etc). This is why I’m so attracted to the idea.

on 31-07-2017

Hi Ben,
Theoretically that would be nice indeed, however i dont think your MacBook/OS supports more than 3 srceens in total. So the limitation comes from the source system.

on 31-07-2017

Would this work in Windows 10 though? I’m thinking of a gaming laptop such as Razor Blade (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 VRAM) etc

on 15-08-2017

Hi Ben,
Sorry for the late reaction 🙁
Yes in WIN10 that will work as long as the source system has no limitation for that. Often Notebooks and mini systems have limitation of not supporting more than 3 screens where as a Desktop systems do not have such limitations. So please do check that up front.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel