(MST) Hub DisplayPort™ 1.2 on HDMI Output Notebook

Updated on 09-03-2021 in MST Hub
1 on 08-03-2021

Hello,
I have a MST Hub Display Port 1.2 leftover from my surface notebook (mini dsiplay port) I wanted to use for my new HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook with a Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti. It only has a HDMI out so I bought a Displayport to HDMI adapter. Its a Displayport 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 adapter.

Does this dervice work with this setup? I cant get it to work, also I noticed my system manager doesnt list any MST Hub as new devices. 

• Liked by
0 on 09-03-2021

DisplayPort to HDMI adapters (such as the CAC-1056, CAC-1070, CAC-2070, CAC-1080, CAC-1085) only work in one direction (DisplayPort output of computer to HDMI input of display). To connect HDMI output of computer to DisplayPort input of display, you need a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter (such as the CAC-1330, CAC-2330, CAC-1331,  CAC-1332)

Only DisplayPort output can do MST. HDMI to DisplayPort adapters cannot do MST to multiple displays.

The specs for the HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook with a Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti at
https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=10M27UA&opt=ABL&sel=NTB  says it has the following:

1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)

So what you need is a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter (such as the CAC-1507, CAC-1567). For your laptop which supports DisplayPort 1.4, I would choose the CAC-1567. Then you can connect your MST Hub to that. For higher refresh rates and resolutions, replace the DisplayPort 1.2 MST Hub with a DisplayPort 1.4 MST Hub (such as the CSV-7300 or CSV-1550).

I’m not sure if displays connected to the USB-C or HDMI ports of the laptop are connected to Nvidia or Intel graphics – check the Device Manager.

I don’t think there’s anywhere in Windows that shows the MST Hub. But the graphics drivers will be able to show multiple displays when connected to the MST Hub. If a MST hub is connected to Intel Graphics, then the Intel Graphics Control Panel can show the topology.

Linux has the fwupdtool command that can list MST hubs that use a Synaptics chip. The Linux dev directory can list the DisplayPort Aux channels of each DisplayPort port (for MST hubs, you need a display connected for the device to appear).

• Liked by
Cancel