4k 60 Hz from Mac Pro to TV

Updated on 27-10-2016 in Adapters and Cables
8 on 24-10-2016

I’ve used the Club3D 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 from my Mac Pro 2013 (Trashcan) to Seiki 4k TV with decent success – running at 60hz with the small Mac program called “Display Menu”. Unfortunately, since the upgrade to Sierra, I’ve lost the ability to run anything about 4k at 30hz. There are also noticeable “glitches” in the image, which happened occasionally before but are much more often now.

Looking for a setup that will give me a 4k 60 Hz image out of my Mac Pro running Sierra. Help!

• Liked by
7 on 25-10-2016

Good day Nick,

Please chek if there is a driver update for your graphics.

For setup with TV’s it normally work best to make a custom resoltuion for 3840x2160p at 60HZ with Timing Standard set to CVT-Reduced Blanking (RB). Not sure if Display Menu will allow you to do that, but a grogram like SwitchResX will.

on 25-10-2016

Thanks, I tried Switch Res X before, and couldn’t figure out what settings to use for an advanced custom resolution. Any suggestions or resources to figure out what profile to make?

on 25-10-2016

if am not mistaking you can just select CVT-RB on the top and fill in 3840 x 2160 and at scan rate 60 Hz and leave the rest as is. Clivk OK and it should make that settign available from the options to selct from. Perhaps a reboot is necessary.

on 25-10-2016

Thanks, I will give that a try as soon as I get into the office. Appreciate your help!

on 25-10-2016

That worked, thank you. I purchased the license for SwitchResX, and was able to save and enable the CVT-RB custom resolution. Now running again at 4k 60 Hz.

on 27-10-2016

cool good to hear you got it working 🙂
By the way it thought that SwitchResX app was available online for free :-S !?

on 27-10-2016

The app is shareware. After 10 days of use it will not let you save / load custom settings. The license was $16, which was worth it for me to get this working. Before the Mac OS Sierra update, the free app DisplayMenu allowed me to select a 60 Hz profile after disabling the Mac SIP system. That was no longer an option after the update.

on 27-10-2016

always nice those updates :-S

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel