Cac 1504 latest firmware/drivers

Updated on 25-05-2018 in USB Type C
17 on 07-07-2017

Hi
I purchased a cac-1504 usb3.1 type-c to hdmi 2.0 adapter. I having trouble with differing machines. Could I please have a link for the latest firmware.
How do I install/ upgrade it?

Also I using windows 10 64-bit are there any updated drivers?

Thanks for your help.

• Liked by
0 on 07-07-2017

Good day FredBelfast,
Sorry to hear this,

To be able to sned a video signal over USB C ouput ojt he system, it needs to have Displayport Alternate (Alt) Mode support. Please check if the system(s) you are testing with have that.

I will have [email protected] send you an email with link to the latest Firmware for the CAC-1504.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 04-09-2017

Hello,

I have recently purchased a CAC-1504 (Rev: A0-02) adapter but I cannot set it to 60 Hz in 4K mode. (only 30 Hz)
My computer is an MSI GT72 6QE and my monitor is an LG 27UD69.

Do I have to update any drivers?

Thank you for your help.

on 05-09-2017

Hello Robert,
Sorry to hear this.
[email protected] will send you an email with latest firmware for the adapter.
That might just do “the trick” …

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 03-01-2018

I have a CAC-1504 Rev A0-01. it has no issue to connect my 4K TV @60hz, however when I connect my Macbook pro to a LG 4k monitor it gets hit or miss. I have LG 43UD79-b which has two HDMI 2.0 ports. thanks for your help.

on 03-01-2018

will a newer FW help here? thanks.

on 03-01-2018

Hi Guonghua,

Sorry to hear this.

In general …

• Setup

Setups with TV’s normally work best by making a custom resolution, in this case for: 3840*2160 at 60 Hz with Timing Standard set to CVT-RB (Reduced Blanking).

(For setups with Monitors Timing Standard can remain on “auto”.)

On most TV’s you will need to do some settings like “Enhanced Mode”/ “PC-Mode” and/or “UHD Color” for the HDMI 2.0 port in use. 

Please make sure the HDMI port of the Screen/TV supports 4K 60 Hz, often not all HDMI inputs support that.

Please make sure the HDMI Cable can do 4K at 60 Hz / 18Gbps, like our CAC-1310

• Custom Resolution

To be able to generate such a Custom Resolution you will probably need an app like SwitchResX since MAC OS does not provide such settings.

Should be something like this, please do make sure to have it set to “CVT-RB”

I will ask [email protected] to send you latest available firmware.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on 25-02-2018

Because of HDMI 2.0a or better HDMI 2.1 Version that support High Dynamic Range.
Is there a newer Firmware Update for my Converter CAC-1504 REV.:A1-00 FW:C002 0008/V7.2b 1708 ?
Thanks in Advance!

on 26-02-2018

Hi Graviton,
There is indeed a newer firmware version than V7.2b, i will have [email protected] send you that by email.
However, the CAC-1504 adapter does not support HDR if that is waht you are looking for. As far as i know there is no DisplayPort 1.4 Alternate Mode, which is needed for HDR support, in the market yet.

on 26-02-2018

Hi MST1407,
thanks again for the new fw.
Yes of course, not yet now, but should be the CAC-1504 works with the Intel Thunderbolt™ 3 controller JHL7x40 series in the future or we need a new Adapter like CAC-1080 ?

on 27-02-2018

Hi Graviton, yes that would mean you would need another adater like CAC-1080 but then with USB C / Thunderbold connector.

on 20-05-2018

The CAC-1504 should work fine with JHL7x40 (“Titan Ridge”) since JHL7x40 still supports DisplayPort 1.2 devices.

JHL7x40 adds DisplayPort 1.4 so it should support HDR from an adapter like the CAC-1080 or CAC-1180 (with an appropriate USB-C to DisplayPort adapter – any current USB-C to DisplayPort adapter should work since the CAC-1080 and CAC-1180 only use HBR2).

Should any USB-C to DisplayPort adapter be able to do HBR3? Or does that require a special adapter?

on 22-05-2018

No hardly any USB-C to DisplayPort adapter is able to do HBR3.
That requires the Adapter to have a DP 1.3 or 1.4 receiver, which is not common at all.

on 22-05-2018

Is there processing done (with a receiver or whatever) on the DisplayPort signals between the USB-C and DisplayPort connectors? The “documentation” at https://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/USB-DevDays-DisplayPort-Alternate-Mode-2016-final4.pdf does not show this.

What’s the difference between a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter that can do HBR3 and an adapter that can do HBR2? There is no documentation, so another question is: What can be different? Answer:
1) Wiring quality
2) USB 2.0 billboard device
3) Power Delivery (PD)
4) Something else?

#1 might not be a factor since the difference between 5.4 Gbps and 8.1 Gbps is not so great. You might get a lot of glitches if the quality isn’t good enough – but it should do something if nothing else blocks the alternate mode from working.
#2 doesn’t matter since the billboard device doesn’t do anything unless an alternate mode is not supported.
#3 might be the answer. There are vendor-defined messages (VDM) that describe the alternate modes supported by an adapter. The alternate mode specifications are not part of the USB specifications that are publicly available. The alternate mode specifications for Thunderbolt (Intel), DisplayPort (VESA) and MHL are not publicly available.

What could be different in the VDM’s between an adapter than can support DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 and one that can only support DisplayPort 1.2? I found a document at
http://www.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/slva844a/slva844a.pdf
which seems to imply the existence of a DisplayPort Capabilities Message that has a flag for DP v1.3 signaling rates but there’s not enough information to know if that is different for a DP 1.2 adapter. The actual DisplayPort alternate mode specification is required to know for sure.

Moshi has a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 Cable (bi-directional) (but the DisplayPort connector is male instead of female). I suppose a USB PD sniffer can be used to compare it with any of the other USB-C to DisplayPort adapters…

on 24-05-2018

Hello Joevt,

Is there processing done (with a receiver or whatever) on the DisplayPort signals between the USB-C and DisplayPort connectors?
Not that I know of, so the “receiver” wording i used in my answer might not be acurate, should have been “Chipset”.

We actually do have a USB C to HDMI2.0b ready, bu this requires DP Alt Mode 1.4 support from the Source and since there are no such source system in the market available, we do not offer this (yet). 

on 24-05-2018

Right. There are other USB-C DisplayPort 1.4 alt mode chipsets besides Titan Ridge. I don’t know if anything uses any of them yet.

When they exist, you’ll be able to test your new USB-C to HDM 2.0b adapter, but also your existing DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0b adapters (the CAC-1080 or CAC-1180) with a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter (as it’s more likely just a USB-C to DisplayPort HBR2 adapter which is all the CAC-1×80 requires).

All these adapter use the MegaChips MCDP2900? That means they are stuck using four lanes HBR2 for 4K content. This makes them unusable with future USB-C docks that might support DisplayPort 1.4 since 2 lanes are used for USB 3.0/3.1 in a dock. Well, HBR3 is not twice as fast as HBR2, so 2 lanes of HBR3 can only do 4K 60Hz with reduced color (8bpc) or reduced chroma sampling (4:2:2 or 4:2:0) or Display Stream Compression.

on 25-05-2018

Just a petty that the Titan Ridge version is still TB3 and no bandwidth increase … besically just adding HDR … don’t think that Intel has already shipped any of them though.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 25-05-2018

Yes, Titan Ridge TB3 will still be 40Gbps. It will probably still have two DisplayPort inputs, now v1.4, but both inputs can’t be using the max 25.92 Gbps on a single cable. Some configurations will require putting the second display on the other Thunderbolt 3 port.

The max for DisplayPort 1.2 is 17.28 Gbps so two of those fits fine on TB3 and should still work the same on Titan Ridge.

The most interesting thing about Titan Ridge is the variant of the chip that allows using a Thunderbolt 3 port as a USB-C input (JHL7440), so that a display using that chip can work as both a Thunderbolt 3 display and a USB-C display (same for docks). As a USB-C display, probably no PCIe device connected to the TB3 controller’s PCIe lanes will work. I’m not sure how USB devices will be connected (if the display is acting as a USB hub with internal USB devices such as audio, camera, etc. or has external USB ports). Will the display include a USB controller like current Thunderbolt 3 displays, which can switch to a USB hub, or the USB devices connected to the USB controller will switch to being connected to a hub from the TB3 controller? The TB3 controller could add a USB port, which the TB3 controller can connect via PCIe for Thunderbolt operation, or connect to the USB-C input for USB-C operation. Alpine Ridge has an integrated USB controller already, so Titan Ridge can build on that. In USB-C mode, JHL7440 would need pins for a USB connection or switch the output of one if it’s Thunderbolt 3 ports. Or maybe USB-C mode will only allow DisplayPort? – that would be sad. Intel said Thunderbolt 3 docks will also benefit from USB-C mode, so presumably USB devices will work, and not just the DisplayPort. Intel says “mobile employees could go into any shared office area or conference room with a JHL7440-based Thunderbolt 3 dock, and gain access to a larger monitor, faster Ethernet connectivity, and keyboard/mouse regardless of the laptop they have.” I assume that the laptop can be either Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C and that this an example of what Intel means by “basic compatibility” for USB-C mode.

• Liked by
Cancel