CAC-1587 at 4K120 10-bit: TV reports FFE Level 3 and saturated RS counter, audio dropouts

Updated on 30-09-2026 in Adapters and Cables
2 on 23-09-2026

Hi all,

Hoping for insight from anyone running a CAC-1587 at 4K120, and ideally a comment from Club 3D.

SETUP

Source: ASUS ROG Xbox Ally X (2025), RC73XA, AMD Ryzen AI Z2 Extreme with Radeon 890M. USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode output only, no native HDMI on the device.

Cable: Club 3D CAC-1587

Display: LG OLED55CX, HDMI 2.1 capped at 40 Gbps (FRL5)

Mode: 3840×2160 at 120 Hz, RGB 4:4:4, 10-bit, SDR

SYMPTOM

Audio drops out for roughly half a second, several times an hour. Video is completely unaffected, no flicker, no blanking, no dropped frames. Windows never logs an audio device state change, so it is not a driver issue. Audio out of the handheld’s 3.5 mm jack, with video still going to the TV over the cable, is perfectly clean. So the problem lives in the HDMI signal path.

WHAT THE TV ACTUALLY MEASURES

The CX has a hidden HDMI Diagnostics screen (press 1 five times on the remote). With the CAC-1587 at 4K120 RGB 10-bit:

FRL Rate: 5
FFE Level: 3 (maximum)
RS Correction Counter: 32767 (saturated)
Error Count CH0 / CH1 / CH2 / CH3: 99 / 101 / 102 / 99

An Xbox Series X on the same TV, same panel, identical mode:

FRL Rate: 5
FFE Level: 0
RS Correction Counter: 0
Error Count CH0 / CH1 / CH2 / CH3: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0

So the TV is asking the CAC-1587’s converter for maximum transmit equalisation and still logging uncorrected errors on all four lanes, while asking a native HDMI 2.1 source for none at all in the same mode. HDMI audio rides in data islands inside the blanking intervals with much weaker error protection than video, which would explain why only audio breaks.

WHAT I HAVE RULED OUT

All four HDMI inputs on the TV, identical results
4K60 as well as 4K120, FFE stays at 3 even at the lower FRL3 link rate
8-bit instead of 10-bit, no change to FFE or the RS counter
HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour confirmed on for the port
TV firmware and GPU drivers current
The fact that FFE sits at maximum at every link rate I can select suggests the converter’s transmit signal is marginal in general, rather than 4K120 10-bit being too demanding.

One other thing: the HDMI end where the converter sits gets very hot in use. Hotter than I would expect. No idea if that is related but worth mentioning.

QUESTIONS

Anyone else running a CAC-1587 at 4K120? If you have an LG TV, could you check your FFE Level and error counts and post them? I would like to know whether FFE 3 is normal for this converter or specific to my unit.

Club 3D, is FFE Level 3 expected behaviour here?

Are there hardware revisions of the CAC-1587, and is there any converter firmware?

Would a shorter cable meaningfully help, given the long DP-carrying section before conversion?

Happy to post photos of both diagnostic screens if useful, including the Xbox reference shot.

Thanks.

 
  • Liked by
Reply
0 on 28-09-2026

I’ve had a similar experience with troubleshooting HDMI-related issues. After a few unsuccessful attempts, I found that it’s much easier to narrow things down when you already know the device or setup you’re working with and can recognize its typical behavior. In cases with lots of possible variables, having a familiar reference point makes it easier to spot what is actually unusual. I wouldn’t say it solves the problem by itself, but it can definitely make the troubleshooting process less confusing. I usually take the same approach when browsing https://slotcity.ua/ru/providers — I start with providers I already recognize and then check out anything that catches my attention.

  • Liked by
Reply
Cancel
0 on 30-09-2026

Harbour-related searches led me to several pages covering places and leisure options around Ontario. One of the websites I opened during that browsing was Shorelines Casino, which I decided to examine alongside other sources. My usual habit is to look at the menu first and see whether the main topics are separated clearly. A straightforward layout makes it easier to move between sections and return to information that caught my attention earlier. I also like pages where practical details are presented in a readable way without excessive promotional wording. After browsing, I normally compare the main points with other websites to get a more complete understanding.

  • Liked by
Reply
Cancel