Club3D’s DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter

4 on 27-11-2020

Hey,

I’m interested in buying this active adapter from Club3D https://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/Show/163613/cac-1085/club-3d-displayport-1_4-hdmi-2_1-aktiivinen-adapteri-musta

I have a RTX 2080 Super and LG C9. I want to be able to output 4K 120Hz to my OLED but my GPU’s HDMI output is only 2.0b. I’ve heard this adapter cannot support HDR alongside Variable Refresh Rate but that’s a compromise I’m willing to swallow.

I watched this video though: https://youtu.be/C8Hg3eq1izM and heard the signal becomes more or less non-existant if the cable is long after the adapter (3 meter and up doesn’t work apparently) mentioned around the 8:20 mark in the video.

What I’m curious about, as there’s 5 meters between my PC and TV, can I buy myself a 5 meter DisplayPort 1.4 cable (male x female) between the GPU’s output and the adapter’s input, hook the adapter to leech power off my TV’s USB port, then attach, say, a short 0.5m HDMI 2.1 (male x male) cable between the adapter and TV and get it to work?

That way the length of the cable would come before the adapter; instead of after. I’d lean towards “Yes, it will work”, but it seems like a relatively expensive endeavour just to test with.

Thanks for any answers I may get upfront!
– Teutep

• Liked by
1 on 10-12-2020

Don’t see why not, as long as the DisplayPort extension cable is rated for DP 1.3/DP 1.4 speeds. I power the adapter off of one of my case’s USB 3 ports (with a 1 meter USB extension cable so i don’t have to manually unplug the power everytime the screen turns black from the display mode changing between applications).

The adapter for me on my GTX 1660 to my cx 48 oled is finicky. I have to replug the USB cable when the screen turns and stays black, depending on if an application tries to request exclusive fullscreen mode or for example booting to the windows login screen (sometimes it will show an image and see that it will either connect at 1920×2160 or 1920×1080 resolution can’t remember at the moment, on my display and the image will look fuzzy and flicker horizontally).

on 17-12-2020

Sounds like you need a firmware update. Do you know what firmware you have?

You might get an awsner from their support by mailing them [email protected]

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 10-12-2020

Also, using the adapter will incur extra delay compared to a pure 4k@120hz connection over DisplayPort or HDMI 2.1, as it seems to be transmitting in Display Stream Compression mode at all times possibly due to the requirement of supporting the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 (DP 1.4 can only support up to 32 GBps [without overhead] uncompressed and to convert that to HDMI 2.1 would need DSC to support the full 48 GBps).

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 17-12-2020

Do not extend the adapter. Use the adapter directly into your RTX card with a maximum of 3 meters Ultra high speed cable, as advertized. You lose signal if you go over it.VRR is not supported over the adapter however HDR 4K 120Hz is possible.

• Liked by
Cancel