CSV-1430 not recognized as an ethernet adapter (

Updated on 15-06-2021 in Docking Station
12 on 17-05-2021

I use a 2020 Razer Blade 15 Base Edition (edit not 2021), a laptop without an ethernet port. Windows 10 64-bits with the latest drivers installed. I bought Club 3D’s CSV-1430 to establish a wired ethernet connection via one of the USB type A ports, but I’m unable to get it to work. No network is discovered when I plug in ethernet via the hub

Plugging the same network cable into my PC directly gives me an instant connection. So it’s seemingly unrelated to my internet connection. I have an open NAT at home and getting wired internet to work on other systems in my home is usually just a matter of plug and play.
None of the LED indicators next to the ethernet port on the hub show any sign of life, on PC nor laptop. The three USB ports on the hub do work. I have two USB A ports on this system and neither works.

Anybody got tips on how I can troubleshoot my issue? Are ethernet usb adapters like these usually plug&play?

Other findings:

• Here is a capture of what happens in my device manager when I unplug and re-plug the hub. As you can see, nothing changes when I plug it back in at around 12 seconds in. I’m not sure if those ‘port reset failed’ yellow warnings can be a symptom of my issue?
  • I notice an ethernet wired network adapter that might be the same as the CSV-1430 uses? I’m not sure. Refer to the screenshot below.
  • It could also be driver related, but I’m not sure how I can reinstall a driver if I can’t locate the hub in my Windows device manager. The manual states the driver should come with a setup.exe, but the downloads tab on the CSV-1430 product page only offers Windows drivers without an installer.
  • Also attached a screenie of my ipconfig settings while the hub is connected to my laptop and internet is running over wireless:

• Liked by
0 on 18-05-2021

The hub has three parts: a USB 2.0 hub for USB 2.0 devices, a USB 3.0 hub for USB 3.0 devices, and a Gigabit to Ethernet adapter connected to the USB 3.0 hub (because Gigabit is faster than USB 2.0).

First you need to find the USB 3.0 hub in the Device Manager (view by connection). Then one of the ports of the hub must be for the USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

If the “port reset failed” message is next to the hub or one of its ports, then maybe there’s a problem. In that case, you need to test the hub with a different USB port or computer to see if the problem exists in all situations or just this situation.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 01-06-2021

Thanks for the reply Joe. I followed up your tips. The hub is called ‘Generic USB Hub’ in my Device Manager; it’s the only new USB device that pops up when I connect the hub. Refer to the attached screenshot.
The device called ‘Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)’ seems to be unrelated, seeing as it remains visible after I unplug the Hub (right?).

I’m unsure as to how I can recognize its’ specific ports in the Device Manager though, can anyone elaborate on that? When I plug in my network cable into the hub nothing seems to change in the USB Host Controller and Network Adapter sections of the Device Manager.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 03-06-2021

A USB 3.0 hub always includes a USB 2.0 hub as well.

Connect a mouse or keyboard. The mouse should appear under a USB 2.0 hub.

Connect a USB 3.0 device such as a flash drive. It should appear under the USB hub. Both hubs should appear somewhere under the Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller (click all the disclosure “>” buttons).

Maybe the Generic USB Hub is the USB 2.0 hub and the Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed) is the USB 3.0 hub, but that doesn’t make sense because you said it remains after the CSV-1430 is disconnected…

Do you have another computer to test the CSV-1430 with?

Maybe you need to update drivers? I use Driver Genius 21 to find new drivers for everything, but maybe you should start with your laptop’s website (but you said you had the latest drivers already).

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 03-06-2021

Thank you for getting back to me. Applied your methodology using my Logitech mouse+KB dongle with a black connector (that should be usb 2.0 right?) and my WD Passport usb ssd which has a blue connector. The Logitech dongle pops up and is the ‘USB Composite Device’ I marked in red below. However, the SSD does not. Although the indicator on it does light up. Not sure if this is power-related.
I actually don’t have any other devices with usb 3.0 connectors around. Kinda surprising I thought I would have more! 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 03-06-2021

On my PC it’s a different story. SSD and Logitech dongle are both clearly visible.

I guess it’s some issue related with my 2020 Razer Blade Base Edition laptop. Kind of disappointing for a relatively high end laptop. 🙁

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 03-06-2021

Thank you very much for your pointers Joe. I guess I’m starting a support ticket with Razer.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 03-06-2021

PS: the USB ethernet adapter is clearly visible in the line above the orange arrow in my PC screenshot (right?). In any case, usb ethernet starts working on my PC immediately I just verified this (this post was sent via the hub connected to my PC).

If we go back to my OP and the screenshot of ‘Hardware and Connection Properties’, which was taken on the Razer Blade, you’ll notice this is the same adapter but the Blade says it’s ‘Not present’.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 03-06-2021

PPS: Can you edit my OP so it correctly states this issue is related to the ‘2020 Razer Blade Base Edition’ laptop and not the 2021 model. I actually purchased a different laptop than I thought come to think of it…

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 04-06-2021

What is the exact model number of the 2020 Razer Blade 15 Base Edition?

If you are connecting to a Type A port, is it a port that actually supports USB 3.x? Does the port have four conductors or 8? What if you connect the WD passport directly to it without the hub?

Does the laptop have Thunderbolt? Use a Type C to Type A adapter to connect the hub. The Thunderbolt port will use a different USB 3.1 gen 2 USB controller. If it’s Alpine Ridge, then it will have its own USB 2.0 ports. If it’s Titan Ridge, then it may use the USB 2.0 ports of the chipset USB controller (the one we’re seeing now). If it’s Ice Lake or Tiger Lake (integrated Thunderbolt) then I’m not sure of the USB layout for Thunderbolt port – I would have to look around to find an example layout. Check the PCIe vendor and product ID of the USB controllers https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086

If you had an external display, it might have a USB 3.0 connection.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 11-06-2021

Hi Joe,

I have a:

• ‘Razer Blade 15 Base Edition – Full HD 120Hz – GeForce GTX 1660 Ti – Black’ (2020 model without ethernet port)
  • Model Number: RZ09-03519N11

Razer Support tells me my laptop has this USB config (I started a ticket about the current issue with them as well):

• 2X USB 3.2 Gen 2 (USB-A)
  • 2X USB-C 3.2 Gen 1

If I connect the usb ssd directly to either of the USB 3.0 ports of the Blade, it’s recognized as a storage device immediately. When connected via the hub, the ssd’s lights up but it is not recognized as a mass storage device. Connecting the ssd to the laptop directly is no problem for me btw. Can always use a type A-type C adapter if both type A ports are occupied. My biggest gripe is the ethernet port issue.
I have the type A-type C adapter you mention and will test that out when I’m back at work and update this ticket.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

Best,

Mark

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 11-06-2021

PS: in my OP I mention: “When I connect the USB hub to my PC and plug ethernet into the hub there it’s also not working on that system (at least not p&p).” Can you remove this sentence or cross this out?
I simply had to wait a bit before the hub and the devices connected through the hub showed up in Device Manager. When I tested the hub on my PC again on June 3, all functionalities of the hub became available after waiting for 30 seconds or so. That’s how I isolated the Blade laptop is probably at fault.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 15-06-2021

Hi Joe,

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Connecting the usb ethernet hub via a USB A -> USB-C adapter immediately resolved my issue. I have wired ethernet running on my Blade now!! Man, so wonderful. Feels good.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Mark

• Liked by
Cancel