How to connect 4 x HDMI 1.4 TV screens

Updated on 25-10-2016 in Adapters and Cables
2 on 23-10-2016

I’m lost in signal and adapter / hub word. I have a graphic card with 4 mini display ports were I’m trying to connect 4 TV screens with 1920×1080 (HDMI 1.4). My Win 7 64 is recognizing all four displays, but I can use only two at the same time, Eyefinity is allowing me to set up only two. I currently using 4 cables mini DP to HDMI (which seems to be passive). What is easiest way to make the system running?
Should I go for 4 x CAC-1153 (mini DP 1.2 to HDMI 1.4)? Will it work also with 4 x CAC-1170 (mini DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0). Should I go for MST Hub (CSV-5300H) and one of this adapters?
This is my primary question. I someone of you guys have some time to explain me why I need active but not passive adapters would be fantastic. At the site where the CAC-1153 is written: When you want to connect to >=3 monitors, then you need at least one of the connections to be a mini DP direct connection, or using a DP active dongle. AMD’s Eyefinity program is explicit about this requirement. What’s the difference between active and passive adapters? My OS is pretty easy capable to detect the connected screens and there resolution.

cheers and thank you very much in advance.
greg

• Liked by
1 on 25-10-2016

Hi Monaco Fonzie,
When screens do not have Displayport input, the first 2 screens you can connect with passive adapters as you found out already that works. Screen nr 3 and 4 need to be connected ith Active Adpaters like CAC-1153 and/or CAC-1170. Since you opnly go up to 1080p 60Hz a CAC-1153 will be sufficient however the CAC-1170 does not cost (much) more  … both will work

on 25-10-2016

Thanks these are good news. I though already I will need to go for new screens.
regards
Greg

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel