USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI 2.0 UHD Active Adapter – HDR Support?

Updated on 14-10-2019 in USB Type C
29 on 29-01-2018

Hi,

I am new here. I am looking to purchase an adapter which can plug into my Dell XPS 13 9360 and output 4k HDR Video from a native source file (H.265/HEVC 10 bit) to a 4K HDR capable TV. I have checked around online and came to know about this adapter and another one ‘DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b HDR’. Although the latter one explicitly specifies about HDR, the USB C adapter I am interested in doesn’t? Does this product support 4k HDR as per my needs? Please confirm.

Thanks.

• Liked by
9 on 29-01-2018

Welcome sriharivn,

For HDR to work in a proper manner the source system, in this case your Del XPS 13 9360 needs to have an output with support for DisplayPort 1.4. 
Your Notebook does have a Thunderbolt  output with DisplayPort Alternate Mode Support, but 1.2 spec, not 1.4.
In fact we do not know of any Notebook at this point in time with DP 1.4 support, which is hwy we did not release USB C to HDMI 2.0b Adapter yet.
So the max we can offer at this stage is USB C to HDMI2.0 (CAC-1504 or CAC-2504) for 3840x2160at 60Hz, but unfortunately no HDR Support.

on 06-07-2018
Intel claims its support for DP 1.2 via their built-in graphics on DDI outputs from HD graphics in CPU, which can be used as DP1.2 outputs or as HDMI 2.0a via LSPCON chip with HDMI 2.0a (HDR) support for 7-, 8-generations CPU.

It’s not problem with DP1.2, it’s problem with PS176 converter Parade Tech. Is there no other solution in silicon for DP1.2-> HDMI 2.0a with HDR?

on 06-07-2018

Yes there is, the CAC-2504 supports HDR, it has the same chip inside as the CAC-1080 and CAC-1180,. We dont sell it as such since we do not knwo of any source system that supports HDR over USB C … but if you say that your system does support it … the CAC-2504 is the Adapter for you 🙂

on 20-07-2018

I just ordered the CAC-2504 to see if it will work. The newer Intel Thunderbolt 3 chips will support DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C. Have you done any testing with these? Do you have any adapters planned using the new Parade PS186?

on 23-07-2018

looking forward to your feedback.
I am sure that PS186 will be extensively tested if that did not happen already …

on 08-09-2018
I just ordered the CAC-2504 to see if it will work. The newer Intel Thunderbolt 3 chips will support DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C. Have you done any testing with these? Do you have any adapters planned using the new Parade PS186?From ducphuc

Hi
Did you have any luck with the test? I am looking for the same solution: I have a Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd generation with HDMI 1.4. It is not clear in any of their specs if it supports HDR over the USB-C port. Just that the highest resolution is achieved over USB-C.

From all the research I did, including the Intel HDR whitepaper, it should work with CAC-2504

Thank you

on 12-09-2018

@,
Yes, I got it to work. I used a Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd generation connected to a LG OLEDE7P on Windows 10 1803.  I can enable HDR and WCCG at 4K@60p over TB3. I am not positive of the bit depth nor encoding.  The Settings panel says it is 8-bit dithered RGB. I made the change to YCbCr in the Intel control panel and it doesn’t change what is stated in the Settings panel.  My display supports 12-bit HDMI deep color. It supports 4k60p with 4:4:4. Enabling and disabling 4:4:4 on the TV didn’t effect what is stated in the Settings panel. Youtube and Netflix shows HDR.  This setting for this is the Stream HDR video. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time with figuring out the bit depth since my TV doesn’t display the actual bit depth info. It does display the color space and resolution which it stated at 2160 and BT.2020.

on 12-09-2018

Actually I want to correct the above post that Netflix shows 4K and not HDR.  HDR doesn’t seem to work correctly. Since it can show 4K, I am assuming HDCP 2.2 works correctly. It might be that HDR does not work from it trying to show Dolby Vision on my TV since the Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen 3 supporting DV on the internal display.

on 12-09-2018

Thank you for the info
I have the same laptop so this means it will work for me. As you can see in my posts below I also reached the same conclusion as you did and ordered 🙂

So what I understand from you is that Netflix identifies the laptop monitor first and so it shows Dolby Vision instead of HDR. There is Netflix content that is HDR, so I suggest that you show your screen only on TV (not duplicate or extended) and then open Netflix. It should detect properly.
I will be using this setup for private content anyway, not Netflix, because the TV does a good job at playing Netflix directly.

Can’t wait to get mine now 🙂

@MST1407, you can advertise it properly now 😉 it works if Intel conditions in the HDR whitepaper are met

on 12-09-2018

thanks for the feedback 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on 08-09-2018

Hi MST1407,

After researching a bit, I see that the chips supporting DP to HDMI 2.0b (I am interested in 4K HDR) are the Parade PS186 and MegaChips MCDP2900. Can you please tell me if any of your adapters have these chips?

Thanks

on 10-09-2018

CAC-1080, CAC-1180 and CAC2504 all have MCDP2900
For CAC-2504 we jsut did not communicate that because to our knowledge there were no source systems yet that could do 4K 60Hz HDR over USB C or TB2/3. If i am not mistaking that Intel Ridge Chip with supprot for that will come Q4 into the market …

on 10-09-2018

Thank you
FIY, if you google search 4k hdr usb-c hdmi you find CAC-1584 as PDF. After that you can’t find it anywhere else 🙂

https://www.google.ro/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.club-3d.com/en/openpdf/2444_1/pdf/specification_sheet_cac_1584_en.pdf/&ved=2ahUKEwjNlt-N4LDdAhWnwosKHSRzBOgQFjACegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw0D7a1pWkvWENKubNujjVKh

on 10-09-2018
CAC-1080, CAC-1180 and CAC2504 all have MCDP2900
For CAC-2504 we jsut did not communicate that because to our knowledge there were no source systems yet that could do 4K 60Hz HDR over USB C or TB2/3. If i am not mistaking that Intel Ridge Chip with supprot for that will come Q4 into the market …From MST1407

From all the info I got from ark intel and other sources, Kaby Lake (7th generation) and forward supports 4K 60Hz 24bpc, so also HDR. My Lenovo’s Yoga 3rd gen specs also states that is supports higher than 4K reseolution 60Hz on Thunderbolt. Adding the requirements in the Intel HDR Whitepaper, that I all meet (version numbers of MEI and SGX) I believe that it will work 🙂

So I ordered CAC-2504 and it should work, if the MCDP2900 specs are right.
I will keep you posted (in two weeks time, aprox)

on 11-09-2018

CAC-1584 was what we initially intended to call what is now the CAC-2504. Most probably in  Q4 2018 we will actually start shipping this product as CAC-1584. In fact they are the same.
Looking forward to your feedback.

on 27-03-2019

Hi MST1407,

After researching a bit, I see that the chips supporting DP to HDMI 2.0b (I am interested in 4K HDR) are the Parade PS186 and MegaChips MCDP2900. Can you please tell me if any of your adapters have these chips?

Thanks

From Asterixmic

I found the Intel’s HDR whitepaper document (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024118/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits.html) is saying that the PS175 and MCA2800 does support HDR. (which are older versions compared to the Parade PS186 and MegaChips MCDP2900 discussed above) But Intel did not say it can do HDR at 4K@60HZ or just HDR at 2K/1080p … Has anyone tested these two chips?

Intel also says these two chips need appropriate firmwares. That is Parade PS175: v0x23 MegaChips MCA2800: V1.66 . There are MCA2800’s v1.7 firmwares on Intel’s website. But I didn’t find a newer firmware for the Parade PS175(or PS176 I believe should be similar). (The latest I found is 0x20 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26061/) Can someone upload a newer version firmware of it and then we can have a test.

on 27-03-2019

Oh..The above Intel HDR whitepaper’s url is not pasted right, it’s this: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
10 on 25-09-2018

So I got the CAC-2504 and got mixed issues (I have a Philips 4K 10 bit (8bit + FRC) and support for 4:4:4 and good cable)

• Windows 10 detects HDR now over USB-C
  • If I activate it, the display identifies HDR signal but the image is very washed out and colors incorrect
  • Netflix 10 bit test video looks very bad. Same test video running directly on Netflix app on TV looks perfect (very hard to notice blocking)

All of a sudden after more than half of hour of testing the image corrected on Windows desktop and showed ok and the HDR signal indicator on re-appeared. The Netflix video was still bad though.

Is it possible there is an issue with CAC-2504 or the firmware?

I have the same laptop as ducphuc, Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd gen

on 10-10-2018

sorry for the late reply … 

please send an email to [email protected] they can send you a file to upgrade the firmware of the adapter. I think that would be good at this point.

on 10-10-2018

The image being washed out and colors incorrectly displayed is expected for the Windows desktop. Netflix, however, should output color correctly when in full screen mode. Your TV needs to be in HDR mode. It might need to be enabled manually in the TV or the settings in the non-HDR modes to match those in HDR modes such as wide color gamut. The updated firmware could help with sending the correct HDMI info frames to automatically enable HDR mode on your TV.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln308136/colors-are-faded-and-washed-out-when-high-dynamic-range-is-enabled-in-windows-10?lang=en

on 01-12-2018

Hi,

So finally for usb-c to hdmi 2.0a with DP 1.2 which model is suitable to use ? Could you please confirm . I sort of got lost between all the model numbers.

Appreciate if you could clarify this for me.
Thanks

Regards,
Sri

on 01-12-2018

hi

I have the CAC-2504 and everything is ok after the firmware upgrade.

on 04-12-2018

indeed that is the one 🙂

on 04-12-2018

I can see that CAC 2504 doesn’t specify HDMI 2.0a and says HDMI 2.0 instead in the spec sheet. My TV has 2.0a input which I believed is required for HDR?

However , CAC 1080 specifies 2.0a in the spec .
Is there a difference between the 2 then if you say I need to go for CAC. 2504?

on 04-12-2018

We did not offer the CAC-2504 as being able to do HDR because there were no Source Systems available yet in the market (to our knowledge) that would offer such specs over USB C.

The CAC-2504 has the same chipset inside as the CAC-1080 and also has support for HDMI 2.0a and HDMI 2.0b 🙂

on 04-12-2018

That makes sense. Thanks!

on 06-12-2018

very welcome 🙂

on 21-08-2019

I also bought the CAC-2504 and am using it to connect to the Philips 328P6VUBREB monitor. However, this is what I see in Windows HD Color settings:

So first of all, I cannot enable “Stream HDR Video”, and also if I try to switch on “Play HDR games and apps”, the monitor goes black and says “No video input”, but then strangly keeps cycling between “No video input” and “Going to sleep” (as if it keeps getting awoken by some signal, which then disappears immediately). Also, the laptop fans start spinning very fast and the laptop often times freezes to the point where I have to unplug the CAC-2504 adapter and turn it off using the power button to recover from the situation.

I tried using three different, high quality HDMI cables, and the result was the same each time, so it’s not the cable. Seeing as @ and @ got it to work on their computers (I have Intel HD Graphics 630 on my laptop), I don’t think it should be the laptop either.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 14-10-2019

sorry for the late reply … 

please send an email to [email protected] they can send you a file to upgrade the firmware of the adapter. I think that would be good at this point.

From MST1407

Can you make public the firmware update, you mentioned above for other users to try?

• Liked by
Cancel