USB-C to DVI dual link not working with MacBook Pro 2016 and Apple Cinema HD 30

Updated on 28-11-2020 in USB Type C
12 on 03-06-2020

Just bought the USB-C type C to Dual Link DVI-D adapter to connect my 2016 Macbook Pro with my Apple Cinema HD 30″.  I can connect the monitor with the Club adapter to my Surface Book and it works instantly at the highest resolution (awesome).  However, with the Macbook pro it either gives static or shows a screen in “mirrored mode” only for about 2 seconds on the Cinema display when switching between resolutions (note: 2500 resolution never shows anything).  Only when selecting resolutions on the Macbook it will display on the Cinema monitor for 2 seconds in mirrored mode only then go black again (perhaps reverting?).  Curious what to do as I would love to get the Cinema display back into my setup.  Other users I’ve googled have not seemed to have this issue.  Clearly the adapter is fully capable of passing the data as I can see it for 1 second before going black.  Thoughts or assistance on how to get this working?

• Liked by
0 on 04-06-2020

Quick update.  Updated from Mojave to Catalina.  I still have the same issue, however it did improve as the display now lights up and shows content on either mirrored or not mirrored when plugged in for 4 seconds before it goes dark.  Additionally, when changing resolutions the screen also displays content for 4 seconds before going dark again.  Is this an issue with the adapter? faulty perhaps or a settings tweak?  Still looking to sort it.

• Liked by
Cancel
8 on 09-06-2020

I’m having the same issue with my 2019 16″ MB pro

on 09-06-2020

So the latest that I have been discussing with Club-3D support is that this “might” be an HDCP issue where the dongle firmware setting is always HDCP on and the Cinema 30″ monitor itself does not support HDCP.  As soon as I have an opportunity to do so I will be flashing the dongle with firmware that sets the setting to HDCP off and see if that resolves the situation.  I suspect this is the case and I am looking forward to trying it as the dongle currently works beautifully with my Apple Cinema 30″ in my PC setup.  BTW a huge shout-out to the support team at Club-3D, they have been incredibly responsive and are working through this issue with me.  I’ll update as soon as I have more.  

on 09-06-2020

Thanks for your quick reply! I look forward to see how you make out and your info of how you made it work.

Good luck!
Phil

on 13-06-2020

OK, so I can confirm.  It is completely the HDCP issue.  Updating the Club-3D adapter firmware to HDCP-off ensures that the Mac drives it with the right config.  The monitor works perfectly at the highest resolution.  If you are going try to update the firmware on the adaper you will need the VMMUpdaterTool.exe from support and the firmware.  This can only be done on a PC computer with a USB-C drive. My computer (surface book 2) was throwing GPU errors due to the “approved” graphics video drivers using a legacy configuration that does not support external firmware updates through the Aux port.  Note for the Surface Book 2, I have learned that Intel offers a DCH graphics driver for the machine that can be used to overcome the GPU issue but it comes with its own set of challenges i.e. needing to strip *all of the old Intel graphics drivers before installing DCH drivers, then likely have to roll back as it disables camera functionality etc.  Hope this helps.  Again, Support was spectacular and helped me through the issue and I now have a functioning setup with my MacBook Pro and my 30″ Apple Cinema HD display.     

on 15-06-2020

Thanks for the update!!!

Unfortunately I don’t have a PC to make this work. Hopefully Club-3D will come out with a new product  or update this one. In the meantime, I’m returning it. Thanks again!

Cheers!

on 15-06-2020

It would be great to have a firmware update tool working for Mac, it would clearly help everyone and help the company retain customers like us that need this function.  Of all of the adapter setups I have tried, this one is clearly the best once you can control the HDCP config.  I am sure that the support team can help you but if for any reason you would like assistance I am happy to upgrade the firmware on one for you (now that I have figured it out) so you have a working solution.  Good luck.

on 16-06-2020

One final note:  They just created a SKU –  ASIN B08B7FSVTL in Amazon for users in our situation with the Apple Cinema HD 30″ Displays. This will ship with the right firmware configured with HDCP off. Here is the direct link.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B7FSVTL?ref=myi_title_dp

Best of luck! 

on 16-06-2020

wow, cool…. just went to Amazon and saw it’s not available yet. Hoping to get one when they are. Thanks for the update!!!

on 28-11-2020

Hey, 

how did you get in touch with the support? I’m getting no reply on the info@ address on their site. But maybe i’m just impatient, because i’d really like to get my display to work again.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 09-06-2020

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 24-06-2020

what about those Like me using a Mac Pro, 5,1 with 30″ cinema display?? I just both a new graphic card (Sapphire Radeon 580) with Displayport and this adapter is not working. Any help?

• Liked by
Cancel