Will MST CSV-5300A work to extend Displays on Mac Mini (Late 2012) on DP 1.1?

Updated on 13-01-2015 in MST Hub
5 on 12-01-2015

Until now I used several Matrox Dualhead2go DP edition (D2G-DP-MIF) for my multiple Mac Minis (Late 2012) to attach up to three LCD Monitors to each of them. It worked so far, but the Matrox units have a extremely short lifetime. From 5 units 4 died within less than two years. The Matrox support rendered also very uncooperative and offered me a repair fee above the price of a new unit. Now I never want any Matrox product again and I am looking for more sustainable alternatives.

I found the e.g. the MST CSV-5300A (and other models)

The manual says “Standard compliance with DisplayPort 1.2 / 1.1a” but will it realy work on DP version 1.1 only or will be version 1.2 necessary to get a real desktop extension?

Note: I don’t need clone- or mirror-mode, what I need is a real desktop extension.

Thanks
Uwe

• Liked by
0 on 12-01-2015

Hi Heim,
We have little experience on the Mac products therefore we can provide you some feedback based on our internal testing on the Intel HD 4000 chipset which you have on your Mac Mini.
Test results on the HD 4000 on the CSV-5300A it does output all at 1080p on 3 displays but unfortunately it acts as a second display, it will not work on 3 independent 1080p displays.
I think I can blame this to the driver support.
On the HD5000 series we have found that it works well supporting 3 independent displays at 1080p.
On both cases the test was done on the Intel NUC with Intel HD 4000 graphics and HD5000 graphics.

At hardwareluxx in Germany they tested our Y-Cabled Docking station which uses the same chipset as the CSV-5300A, the STDP 4320 and they were able to drive two displays without issues with the Intel Graphics Iris Pro.

You are absolutely right about the Matrox in regards of the MST Hub. The MST can always drive displays from your graphics source, it does not became obsolete as it does not have an independent graphics chipset in a box.

I hope this information help you to make your own decision.

Regards

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 12-01-2015

Thanks Paul,
the Intel HD 4000 chipset with a mini-DP 1.1 output is exactly what I have. And one “BIG” virtual screen stretching over many physical displays is exactly what I am looking for. I run only Windows 7 and Linux on those Mac Minis and want to use it as primary Display with a long single taskbar at the bottom spanning form left to right.

If I understand you right, the CSV-5300A could do exactly what I want, right?

Matrox has one piece of handy function in their software (PowerDesk) which allows you to maximize windows on a specific screen even when the virtual display spans accross more physical screens. But I found there is a handy tool called MaxTo ( http://maxto.net/ ) which costs $9.99 and does something similar. So no longer an USP.

I can only repeat that I felt treated very badly by the Matrox-people and they disappointed me very much since I had an odyssey with 5 units over 4 years and now they showed me exactly 0% courtesy.  If only one unit would have failed, I would understand – but 4 of 5 with a lifespan less than 2 years? That’s 80%! They only offered me a repair for $200 + VAT, which is more expansive than a new unit for 175€ (VAT included). So that offer is a bad joke:

The
OOW (out of warranty) repair price for the D2G-DP-MIF is:
US Dollars $150.00 per unit, plus freight costs (Ireland to Germany) FedEx economy $50.00 (or you may use your own carrier) plus VAT 23%* The repaired  unit carries an applicable reduced warranty (12 months). If the unit cannot be repaired, and/or a replacement is not possible, you may choose to have Matrox scrap the unit on site at no charge or have the unit returned to them ‘as-is’ for a fee plus freight costs. The repair process with take approx 8 weeks.

Thank you.
Kind regards
Lisa McWhinney
RMA department
Matrox Europe Ltd

Now I’ll probably have to throw the two D2G-DP-MIF units in the trash and give one of your units a try and hope for either a longer lifetime or in case of issues a better support.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 12-01-2015

On Amazon I found your  CSV-5300A here http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00KYMQDJ6?m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&tag=idealoversand-21&ascsubtag=_Acz5Ps0JR-zncLQvVZMFQ for just 97,68 € which looks really good 😉 Thanks for offering me a viable alternative. Back in 2011 there was only Matrox as far as I knew…

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 12-01-2015

One more question on the CSV-5300A: beside the 1920×1080 per-display resolution, could there also 1920×1200 be possible via the 4000 HD and DP 1.1?

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 13-01-2015

Hi Heim,
Sorry to hear about the Matrox issue. They do make great solutions and to be honest, also very practical for people who wants to setup a simple way to have multi-displays.
For the DP 1.1 please note that it has 10.8Gbps instead of 21.6Gbps found on DP 1.2, therefore you are limited to two displays at 1200p.
On our product page, go to system requirements and I have placed a chart which you can see the number of displays supported. HBR (DP1.1) and HBR2 (DP1.2).
Find the link here

• Liked by
Cancel