CAC-1331 pixel clock/timings with PS5

Updated on 21-01-2021 in Adapters and Cables
9 on 30-12-2020

Hi,

I’m trying to use the CAC-1331 to output 4K@60Hz to my Dell P2715Q. When I try to connect the display, I get an error message stating “The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.” The only way to get a signal is changing the 4K Video Transfer Rate on the PS5 to -2 – but then I only get 1080p@60Hz output.

I’ve previously tried the gofanco PRO-HDMI2DP, which also didn’t work. The gofanco is however confirmed to not work with monitors with a 533MHz pixel clock/timing. Is that the case with the CAC-1331 too? Has anyone been able to use it with a PS5 (or PS4 Pro for that matter) on a monitor with a 533MHz pixel clock/timing with any luck?

I can’t find any information about this anywhere, except for it being mentioned in this forum post, where it sounds like it should be supported. Could the problem be with the PS5 not supporting the timing?

• Liked by
0 on 04-01-2021

Hi Lensmann,

What DisplayPort cable do you use with the CAC-1331 and your Dell P2715Q? (Which version)

Not sure what you mean with “533MHz pixel clock/timing” . 

I don’t know if you can lower the color bitrate output from the PS5 to 8bits maybe?

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 04-01-2021

Hi Baak,

I’ve tried four different DP cables, varying from 0.5m to 3m in length. They have all been confirmed to be working at 4K@60Hz on both my MacBook Pro and my PC using an AMD RX 580 GPU. 

If I understand it correctly, there aren’t really different versions on DP cables – a DP cable is a DP cable. I can however confirm that at least two of the cables claim to be “DP 1.2” capable in their product descriptions. Do you think this could be a DP cable issue? I could try to acquire a different cable, perhaps one on the Certified list on displayport.org. 

I do not have the knowledge or competence to tell you more about the pixel clock/timing, but the value I’m referring to is specified in the user manual for my monitor (page 11). As you can see the value is actually 533.25MHz, to be precise.

The Amazon page for the gofanco PRO-HDMI2DP notes that “If the displayport monitor does not recognize the 594Mhz pixel clock rate, it will not convert. Monitors operating up to 533MHz pixel clock rate also will not support 4K resolution,” which is why I am suspecting it to be the case with the CAC-1331 as well.

I’ve tried forcing 8-bit color bitrate, but that does not change the result. I’ve also tried changing the Chroma Subsampling setting to RGB and YUV422 resulting in no output (and the error message about input timing showing up on my display), and YUV420 resulting in a 1080p output. 

I have tried literally all the different settings in the Video Output section of my PS5, but nothing results in a 4K output – not even 30Hz.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 04-01-2021

Hi Lensmann,

There are definitely different versions of DP all has to do with the bandwidth: https://www.club-3d.com/en/technology/8/displayport/

But this is way to technical for me to give any suitable answer. If you could forward your question to [email protected] I’m pretty sure they will help you with this.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 04-01-2021

Yes, there are different DP versions, but that has nothing to do with the cables. But you are right about the bandwidth, they have different bandwidth ratings. Seeing as I don’t know the specifications of the cables I’ve tried, I’ll try a DP8K certified cable later today. There’s a local store selling it.

If a DP8K certified cable won’t work, then I’d assume it’s safe to say it’s not a cable issue – and send them an e-mail. Thank you for the replies, Baak. 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 04-01-2021

No problem Lensmann,

DP versions have very much to do with the cables. If you connect a DP1.2 version cable between DP1.4 input and output. You will only get DP1.2 Bandwith.

A DisplayPort cable is not just a DisplayPort cable.

Good luck with the DP8K cable, let me know the outcome 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 04-01-2021

No dice with the DP8K cable. Just to make sure I tried that one with my MacBook Pro too, and got a 4K@60Hz output. I’d say it’s safe to eliminate the DP cable being the problem. I’ll try contacting Club 3D support.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 14-01-2021

I can confirm that the adapter works with the Philips 4k Monitor (BDM4065UC) using the PS5 which I believe uses the 533Mhz timing. Maybe some monitor level setting is causing an issue. You could also try an EDID emulator which can trick the PS5 into thinking its connected to a HDMI2 display. 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 14-01-2021

I can confirm that the adapter works with the Philips 4k Monitor (BDM4065UC) using the PS5 which I believe uses the 533Mhz timing. Maybe some monitor level setting is causing an issue. You could also try an EDID emulator which can trick the PS5 into thinking its connected to a HDMI2 display. 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 21-01-2021

I did some tests with the CAC-1331 using 4096×2304 resolution. There were some issues with some timings. I suppose I could expect similar issues with 3840×2160 timings (I should do more tests and note the pixel clocks)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-mini-22md4ka.2272647/post-29336435
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-mini-22md4ka.2272647/post-29342101
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-hdmi-out-to-display-port-do-the-adapters-work.2274641/post-29378347

The disappointment here is that it can’t handle arbitrary pixel clocks.

• Liked by
Cancel