R9 290 Crushed blacks using club3d dp1.4 > hdmi 2.0 adaptor to toshiba tv

Updated on 31-07-2023 in R9 290 Series
3 on 06-11-2018

Hi,

I am using the club3d display port > hdmi 2.0 adaptor with my R9 290 so that I can display 3840×2160 @60hz. I am connecting to a Toshiba 43u6763db.

No issues with achieving the resolution. However, the blacks are crushed meaning that gaming is not really an option (colours look super saturated, text is harder to read and if you go in a even slightly dark area of a game, you can’t see a thing.

With a normal HDMI-HDMI cable (1080p@60 or 2160p@30) the issue only occurs when the pixel format is set to anything other rgb limited.

With the adaptor I am unable to change the pixel format because the option to do so is not available in the Radeon graphics control software when output is through display port.

I don’t know why the TV does not display colours correctly with rgb full as the TV should have full range hdmi capability as far as I am aware. I have the HDMI set to Enhanced and can’t see any other options that address the issue in the TV GUI.

I don’t know if there is a fix for this, whether it’s getting newer adaptor firmware/ setting a custom resolution (Please tell me how if this is the case) or whether i have just bought a bad tv.

Many thanks in advance! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stu

• Liked by
0 on 08-11-2018

Hello uberstu,

Sorry to hear this.

In general

• Setup

Setups with TV’s normally work best by making a custom resolution, 3840*2160 at 60 Hz with Timing Standard set to CVT-RB (Reduced Blanking).

(For setups with Monitors Timing Standard can remain on “auto”.)

On most TV’s you will need to do some settings like “Enhanced Mode”/ “PC-Mode” and/or “UHD Color” for the HDMI 2.0 port in use. 

Please make sure the HDMI port of the Screen/TV supports 4K 60 Hz, often not all HDMI inputs support that.

Please make the HDMI Cable you are using, can do 4K 60Hz / 18Gbps.

Also the Graphics Driver can have quite a big impact on the result you get with such a setup.

• Graphics Drivers

Using the upgrade feature to update Graphics drivers can cause issues, because old files can remain in the registry of windows and can be “in the way”.

Please make a new clean driver installation to make sure that part is ok.

Please uninstall the current Graphics driver and all related Graphics software like Afterburner/GPU-Z or whatever graphics related software you might have installed.

Best way to remove Driver Software is to boot Windows in Safe mode, so the registry can also be cleaned.

If your system does not allow you to do that, you can also use a program like DDU to remove such software: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ 

Also, please manually delete the AMD Folder from your C drive.

When done, reboot and manually download and install latest available driver for your Card (don’t let any auto installer do that).

We have delivered all the CAC-2070 with the latest available firmware, so that part is ok.

Kind regards

• Liked by
Cancel