HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2 ?

Updated on 23-04-2021 in Adapters and Cables
6 on 23-08-2017

Hi, what do you reckon will be the limitations of having a less updated version of HDCP on the monitors with DP 1.2 ?

on 24-08-2017

Hi Luca,
I reccon that you cannot  play content that requires a higher version of HDCP than you have …

on 24-08-2017

Hi MST1407, you are very kind for your constant support on this thread. Just to be sure: do you mean “media”, when you say “play”? Games from consoles should work as expected? Will next-half-gen consoles just refuse to play 4k media at 60 hz, or will they refuse to work at all? Thank you, again

on 24-08-2017

Anything that requires HDCP 2.2 will require that every device in the chain support at least HDCP 2.2. Things that require that would be, for example, 4K video streaming on Netflix. Other content on Netflix, meanwhile, only requires an older version of HDCP to play. As far as I am aware, games have thus far not required it as of yet (although I do know games have existed that utilize older version of HDCP), however, so you would not need HDCP 2.2 support on every component to play those. MST1407’s comment applies without exception. You cannot play any content that requires a higher version of HDCP than you have, period. If a game were developed by people that decided they wanted to require HDCP 2.2, that would apply to it as well.

on 24-08-2017

On certain conditions, you can convert a hdcp2.2 stream to hdcp1.4, but I don’t know why and when..
You can read about it in the spec, chapter 2.11
https://www.digital-cp.com/sites/default/files/specifications/HDCP%20Interface%20Independent%20Adaptation%20Specification%20Rev2_2_FINAL.pdf

on 24-08-2017

Having said that, there is no doubt that the challenge is more of a legal problem than a techincal. I think the HDCP path has a weakness in the stream between the receiving chip and the LCD panel. Afaik there is no difficult encryption on this link (The processor on the monitor/tv board decrypts the HDCP) But even if you manage to exploit this, you are sticking your hand into the bee-hive, at least if you want to sell it as a product.
If your monitor is capable of digesting an eDP signal on the displayport (unlikely unless you can hack it), you may get away with using the internals of a LCD monitor supporting HDCP2.2 with eDP module support(which I know you can buy on ebay today). It will be more like a “HDCP2.2 monitor simulator”, than an adapter, but it will work 🙂

on 30-08-2017

Very very Interesting read ost, appreciate

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 23-08-2017

Its looking like, there’s going to be a demand for the HDMI 2.0  to DisplyPort 1.2 converter. I am also in need of said converter. This playstation 4 pro problem is only going the esculate the more people buy in to one.

• Liked by
Cancel
2 on 29-08-2017

Hello, i have the same problem guys… i need HDMI TO DP 1.2 4K/60hz. Is avaiable?

on 29-08-2017

not yet no, and because i dont see it on the roadmap yet, it will not come fo sure within the next 3 to 4 months 🙁

on 29-08-2017

I hope so

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 07-09-2017

When will we be getting an HDMI2 to DisplayPort adapter that supports at least 4k60hz?

on 08-09-2017

not yet, and because i dont see it on the roadmap yet, it will not come fo sure within the next 3 to 4 months 🙁

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 08-09-2017

I am wondering the same thing like others; could not find a solution online. Patiently awaiting.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 09-09-2017

It’s never going to come out people. We just have to give up hope and move on. It’s been well over a year now that people have been asking for this converter and nobody has made one yet. Anytime anyone gets a response it’s always “not sure, possibly another 5-6 months”… and then that 5-6 months rolls around and it’s “not yet, maybe another 4-5 months”. We just all have to bite the bullet on being earlier adopters of 4k. We got screwed and this device is still nowhere on the horizion years later.

on 11-09-2017

The reason we dont have a product yet is that no one makes a converter chip that can take HDMI2 and convert it to DisplayPort. All these companies that make adapters just use off the shelf parts and package them and use their mass manufacturing capability to get it to us for a reasonable price.

The only way to get such an adapter before a conversion chip is available on the market would be to use a much more expensive FPGA and design one yourself. Or design one from 100% scratch and send it to the fabs but that is more work and more expensive than an fgpa stopgap product. And fpga version of such a product would most likely cost around the $200 range, which would have very little sales due to the cost. I would buy one, but most people probably wouldnt which is why the cost to make such a product is most likely higher than the income it would provide.

Just have to wait a few more months till the conversion chip is on the market, and then  a few companies will start making products.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 23-09-2017

I have been following this post for a while now, and wanted to comment that I really am in need of this adapter. I own Dell’s 8K monitor which only supports Display Ports and I plan to connect my PS4 Pro to the monitor for 4K gaming at 60hz with the best display you can get right now (UP3218K) 

The demand is indeed there.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 24-09-2017

Joined this site just to post my interest in this too. I’m getting an Xbox One X and to run 60fps on my 4K monitor I would snap one of these adapters up quick smart.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on 07-10-2017

Hi, I was just wondering if there is an update on the status of the hdmi 2.0 to displayport 1.2 4k 60hz converter? I’d love to be able to get one.

• Liked by
Cancel
5 on 08-10-2017

If you are looking to compromise with playing in 1080p or lower on your monitor, just use PS4 Remote Play and launch it on Windows. It’s the best thing for now.

on 08-10-2017

Well for playing in 1080p I have my ps4 hooked into my TV. I’m going to get the Xbox One X and if I have to downstate for now on my monitor I’m just going to do that. I don’t know for sure but I imagine that streaming to a monitor through a pc w/ win 10 would have lag, no?

on 08-10-2017

Well if you have proper internet speeds then this won’t be an issue. I have a gigabit connection and so there is no lag at all and since my desktop renders at 8K the streaming application is very detailed. I did however find a company that claims to have an adaptor that fixes our issues. Their twitter is GaminTechSales and I’m probably going to purchcase their adapters and compare the result.

on 08-10-2017

Doing local Remote Play/Xbox Game Streaming in order to stream to your desktop in the home uses LAN, not your outbound internet connection (which, by the way, would rely on upstream far more than downstream bandwidth, for those wondering). PS4 Remote Play can use your outbound internet connection, but only for off premise streaming. It still utilizes LAN if you are on the same network, as it should, since there is far less latency doing things that way (also, latency is far more important than bandwidth for that sort of thing, just FYI).

That said, even ignoring that you could just connect the console to your [presumably cheaper] 1080p TV if you wanted to settle for 1080p (assuming you have one, more and more people these days are starting to ONLY have a monitor and don’t buy TVs in the first place), video streaming apps (like Netflix) are blocked when using this sort of remote service, which is a pretty big thing people tend to use consoles for these days.

on 08-10-2017

I have a 4K TV but I’d prefer to use my $5K 8K monitor for 4K content. My tv is not even close to my monitor.

on 08-10-2017

Also for streaming, I’m getting zero latency. My ping is also 2ms in speed tests. Recently upgraded from a 60mbps connection.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 09-10-2017

I can confirm what Mu7ammad mentioned earlier that @GaminTechSales on twitter has them in stock for $200 US. They have very limited stock as it has been discontinued.

For me it converted to $380 Aust dollars incl delivery so decided against it.. ended up buying a Samsung 32inch gaming monitor instead 😁

on 09-10-2017

The guy looks like a fraud tho lot of people complain on his feed..

on 09-10-2017

I got my 8K monitor from them, so I trust them to send me the adapter. They said they got my payment and will ship it tomorrow.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 10-10-2017

@MST1407 Have you/Club3D found a IC yet for this. if not would this work 
ANX7688
it says it can converts HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2/1.4  to  DisplayPortTM 1.3 Ultra-HD (4096x2160p60)

on 11-10-2017

The ANX7688 was discussed on page 1 and page 3 of this thread.

The ANX7688 supports 1 or 2 lane DisplayPort 1.3. DisplayPort 1.2 (HBR2) requires 4 lanes for 4K 60Hz. You would need a 2 lane DisplayPort 1.3 to 4 lane DisplayPort 1.2 converter for most monitors to go with this.

on 11-10-2017

🙁 my displays is DP1.2a. so back to square one, or zero in this case as they need a IC first before they can start on a cable 🙁

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 11-10-2017

I finally found the solution for me : I sold my XBoxOne S and switched back to PC gaming. I can’t wait endless for this.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 16-10-2017

Could you tell us *why* the ANX7688 chipset was found to not be suitable for an adapter? Looking at the specs it would seem like this is a perfect fit as far as specifications go. Even though it is designed to convert to a type-C form factor, it is still converting to DisplayPort signal over that physical medium. WHy not just change to a lartger size DisplayPort physical medium instead?

on 16-10-2017

Was my explanation above not sufficient? Go to wikipedia to learn the difference between DisplayPort 1.2 and DisplayPort 1.3. The ANX7688 can only do 4K 60 Hz using DisplayPort 1.3 because the ANX7688 only provides two DisplayPort lanes.

If we assume that DisplayPort 1.3 is useful to some people, then the 2 lanes of the ANX7688 seems suitable for that purpose unless the statement by  on page 1 that the device is “made for mobil devices” has some bearing. In that case, a more detailed explanation of why that would be an issue would be interesting.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
18 on 16-10-2017

Received my adapter from GaminTechSales on Twitter. They’re USB powered and provide 4K 60hz HDR playback but my 8K monitor does not have HDR but regardless the calibrated display looks astonishing with my PS4 Pro. I am now playing Shadow of War on the Pro with a keyboard and mouse converter adaptor and it’s as if I am playing on my PC at 4K. Really good invention but sadly they’re planning to end production of these.

Some cons is that it makes my PS4 Pro think I am using an HDR compatible display which results in washed out colors as it is then automatically turned on. Therefore, I had to manually turn it off. This isn’t a big deal but it isn’t “smart” enough to provide the true specifications of my monitor to my console.

Really loving this it simply destroys my Sony 43x83c which is terrible and overpriced.

on 16-10-2017

What exactly did you get that works so well, I can’t find anything on their page.

on 16-10-2017

Same here, what is the exact product that you used? Thank you

on 16-10-2017

They once tweeted about the adapter on their page and have taken it down as they plan to end production of it soon. Just message them asking for the adapter as I did. They’ll tell you that it’s going to end soon due to a lack of demand but hopefully they will realize that people need this.

on 16-10-2017

does it work for hdcp content for example netflix at 4k?

on 16-10-2017

I actually use it to watch Netflix on my monitor instead of on my TV because of how good my monitor is. So yes.

on 16-10-2017

thats awesome. i just messaged then and am awaiting a cost on the shipping

on 16-10-2017

You won’t be disappointed. But they also sell monitors and displays with HDMI inputs for considerably less compared to their retail prices. My 8K monitor was a bargain for how much they were charging.

on 16-10-2017

So there actually is the proper adapter available?

on 16-10-2017

Essentially yes, GaminTechSales has been making them since June apparently. No one knew and they assumed that maybe demand wasn’t there. They also have affordable prices for PC components and other electronics, so I first found them when looking for a monitor as I stated before. Luckily, I followed them and found out that they had an adapter as I didn’t do enough research and thought that the 8K monitor was going to have an HDMI port. For a monitor that is usually $5,000 I expected it to have at least one hdmi port :/

on 16-10-2017

Thanks for the info, i got in touch with them and awaiting a total cost.

on 16-10-2017

No problem, hope you guys find this as your solution. I really needed this adapter.

on 16-10-2017

Can you link a picture of it?

on 16-10-2017

Maybe GaminTechSales should get a website. Using Twitter seems like a horrible idea. There should be a searchable products page somewhere. Does the adapter have a model name/number? Is there a picture of the product? What chips does it use?

on 16-10-2017

This just screams sketchy. They haven’t posted in months on twitter, now all of a sudden they posted a few times. I see there has been an occasional tweet about a “giveaway” they are doing, however those tweets are deleted. Just google “GaminTechSales giveaway”, those tweets are all deleted (still viewable if you hit “Cached” on google). In addition, their “website” is just full or lorem ipsum and is hosted on Google Sites with no domain name, no legitimate business would do that, a domain is ~$10 a year. 

I’d love to be proven wrong as it’d be great to finally have a proper adapter, but this just seems highly suspicious.

on 17-10-2017

yeah I don’t know they were quick to respond to every one of my questions in terms of price, shipping cost etc. But then I asked about return policy in case it doesn’t work properly, I heard crickets. very unsure if i want to commit to this, the sketch level is high with this one. it would cost me $170 total with shipping ( I live in Hawaii ) and just not sure if I want to commit with it. A picture of the item and receipt (details blurred out) would be appreciated Mu7ammad.

on 18-10-2017

They honestly need to improve with a website. They’ve been removing their tweets, and I think they might be shutting down. However I was offered to make a video about their product and in return I’m told that I will get a discount on a graphics card they’re selling. (Here’s hoping they live up to their promise) I’ll hit you all up with a link when I get the time to make it. Loving it right now especially with Gran Turismo Sport. That game looked terrible on my 4K TV for some reason.

on 13-11-2017

This isn’t clear. The adapter goes from what format to what format? Can you give us a picture, etc. etc. Any more inisght?

on 15-01-2018
This isn’t clear. The adapter goes from what format to what format? Can you give us a picture, etc. etc. Any more inisght?From Luca Delponte

It allows you to use an hdmi device like my xbox one x on my monitor which has display port 1.4 ports but the maximum capability of the adapter is display port 1.2 and my monitor is backwards compatible with older display port generations. its a dell up3218k and it comes precalibrated from dell so it is obviously better than my Sony 43x830c which scored badly on rtings.com 
the only problem is if you have a monitor with speakers i was told by the support representative (or the one guy i talked to who knows) that it wont passthrough audio. you are basically getting uncompressed and unhindered picture quality. input lag is unchanged and they now have a conversion box instead of the adapter i have which might be better

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 13-11-2017

Ping?

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 16-11-2017

I also found out the hard way that no adapter exists yet for HDMI->DP.  I made a thread on Reddit with the release of the Xbox One X asking for links to an adapter and there was general interest in the product but no actual product produced yet.

With the new console already out on shelves, no adapter currently for sale and with the Xbox One X being picky as heck with its 4k (forcing 60hz or no 4k resolution) you would think Club3D would jump on this immediately to cash in.  That’s my thoughts anyways.

on 16-11-2017

Club3D makes adapters, not the chips in the adapters. No chip = no adapter.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on 16-11-2017

I thought I needed the adapter for my monitor when I was on the Xbox one s but I’ve since brought the Xbox one X all the options are not ticked 4k at 60hz the only thing i can’t use is hdr which I knew my monitor didn’t have anyway, so all good don’t need an adapter now 🙂

on 17-11-2017

Hi Dazzer, doesn’t Xbox One X want HDMI 2 for 4K at 60Hz? I have One S and it sees my monitor as 1080P on HDMI 1.4 connection and since my monitor has 1.4 and DP, I was going to use this adapter to use DP or miniDP to be able to use with my Xbox One S. Is it the same issue with One X?

on 17-11-2017

My monitor is a lg27ud58 it has HDMI 2.0 but on the Xbox one S it didn’t run 4k at 60hz since upgrading to xb1x everything has changed it now does run 4k 60hz

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 17-11-2017

any updates?

• Liked by
Cancel
7 on 17-11-2017

By the way i found an adaptor but its 4k at 30hz not 60

on 17-11-2017

I’ve tried one from SIIG and Startech. They both use the STDP2600 from MegaChips for 4K 30 Hz. The SIIG has a thicker cable and a metal case. I’ve found one on Amazon from gofanco which looks like the Startech.

on 17-11-2017

mind giving me the link?

on 17-11-2017

google will find it:
“STDP2600 HDMI to DisplayPort” this also finds one by delock
“Startech HDMI to DisplayPort”
“SIIG HDMI to DisplayPort”
“gofanco HDMI to DisplayPort”
“delock HDMI to DisplayPort”

on 20-11-2017

yes like the CAC-1330 
o
r the CAC-2330

unfortunately no update yet for support for 4K 60Hz yet 🙁

on 21-11-2017

Sorry, I totally forgot to include the Club 3d products.

What’s the difference between the CAC-1330 and CAC-2330?

The CAC-1330 is DisplayPort 1.1, so I suppose it uses 4 lanes for 4K @ 30 Hz? It has HDCP 1.3 instead of 1.4. It has CEC.

The specification pdf for the CAC-1330 says HBR2 link rate, but HBR2 is only for DisplayPort 1.2, or is link rate separate from the standard in this case?

The CAC-2330 is also DisplayPort 1.1. Same or different chip? It has HDCP 1.4. It doesn’t have CEC or it was not mentioned in the specification pdf?

The CAC-1330 says max 3840×2160 30 Hz while the CAC-2330 says 4096×2160 at 30 Hz. Why would that difference exist?

Could a firmware update make them the same?

on 21-11-2017

Actually the CAC-1330 and CAC-2330 have the same chip inside and therfore the same specs, they Chip actually supports DP 1.2 but when that is specified end-users might  think you can do 4K 60Hz with it and we do not want to have any of that which is why we specify either just DP or DP 1.1.

on 21-11-2017
By the way i found an adaptor but its 4k at 30hz not 60From Ashley Cole

Thats great, but im look for 60hz HDMI1.4 is already capable of 30hz so i wont need a adapter for that.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
12 on 23-11-2017

Still no update on this?

Can we give up hope and feel just scammed ( i already feel that way)

If someone sells me a console saying it does 4K i expect it would work on a 4K display.

If not i expect a decent warning like: Before you buy, not all 4k monitors will work with this console it needs atleast a HDMI 2.0 port. please check before buying.

Wel i could have figured it out by myself but someone who isnt that PC clever wil really feel scammed bij sony or microsoft.

None of them give out this warning.. can we not just sue them for a promiss that isnt real..

I have a 900 euro screen from asus hanging on my wall and i cant do shit with it only on my PC it can do 4k 60HZ with g-sync. on console you cant even watch a fucking movie.

on 23-11-2017

Why would you feel scammed by Sony or Microsoft? They made their consoles to work with TVs (those things normal people connect their game consoles to), not monitors. Getting them to work with monitors as well is just a bonus if anything. And it’s the monitor manufacturers who decided to skimp on the ports to save money, not the console manufacturers.

on 24-11-2017

I agree with XerBlade, in my case Benq decided to skimp on the ports and decided to use HDMI 1.4 instead of 2.0. It looks like I will have to sell and get a different monitor that supports HDMI 2.0…

on 24-11-2017

yeah try to sell a 900€ monitor for decent price 😛

And again you are right about the Monitor VS TV.

But then again i feel fucked without a kiss as a early adopter once again.

i will wait till 2018 in the hope 4k HDR monitors become cheaper

on 24-11-2017

Have you hoyyen in contact with GamintechSales? Their adapter was everything I needed and has HDR support.

on 24-11-2017

Wow autocorrect at its worst. Have you gotten in contact I meant xD

on 28-11-2017

Why can’t you use display adapter to HDMI 2.0 (from GPU) then HDMI 2.0 to (monitor) Display adapter, with a male to male HDMI 2.0  in between?

on 28-11-2017
Mu7ammad, please post an image of the device. I would really like to see it.
on 29-11-2017
Have you hoyyen in contact with GamintechSales? Their adapter was everything I needed and has HDR support. From Mu7ammad

I asked for picture you didnt reply to that.

So why would i order something overpriced at a Sketchy supplier like Gamintechsales..

Who dont even reply or have a decent website lolz

on 15-01-2018

they have images on their website but it is an updated version. i have the one which is simply a display port on one end and an hdmi adapter on the other end with a usb to power it. they have an actual conversion box now. i do not know if this has any performance related benefits.

on 15-01-2018

So why would i order something overpriced at a Sketchy supplier like Gamintechsales..

From Techbundy

Yeah they looked sketchy to me as well but i took the risk and am glad i did because my monitor is way better than my tv and they took paypal. i am waiting for better offerings to come out. the best tv within my budget right now is the Sony 900E but it doesnt have dolby vision support so that is what i am waiting for right now. in the meantime, my monitor is perfectly calibrated so i am getting the best graphical experience at 4k.

on 15-01-2018

From Techbundy

and sorry i have not kept up with the email notifications from this thread since i have been busy with work lately

on 15-01-2018
they have images on their website but it is an updated version. i have the one which is simply a display port on one end and an hdmi adapter on the other end with a usb to power it. they have an actual conversion box now. i do not know if this has any performance related benefits.From Mu7ammad

What website?

Are you sure the adapter you have does 4K @ 60 Hz? I have a couple that look like that and they only do 4K @ 30 Hz.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 28-11-2017

Why can’t you use display adapter to HDMI 2.0 (from GPU) then HDMI 2.0 to (monitor) Display adapter, with a male to male HDMI 2.0  in between?

on 28-11-2017

What you’re describing doesn’t exist.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 28-11-2017

I want to use my XBox One X with my Benq BL3201PT 4k Monitor.
The XBox has a HDMI 2.0 port only and the Monitor supports Displayport 1.2 at 4k@60HZ only.
When will Club 3D release a HDMI 2.0 to DP1.2 adapter @ 60HZ?
I am waiting now for more than 1,5 years.
Maybe it’s better I buy a new Monitor?

on 29-11-2017

No news on a release date yet … sorry

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
33 on 28-11-2017

Who wants to be the first sacrificial lamb and test this sketchy looking converter for us all? 🙂

http://partilink.com/product-info.php?id=94%20Converter,HDMI%202.0%20to%20DisplayPort%201.2a%20Converter

on 28-11-2017

I’d do it if I could find a way to actually buy the thing.

on 28-11-2017

Email sent :]

on 28-11-2017

Guys that would be awesome.

on 29-11-2017

I also try to buy it.

on 29-11-2017

Email sent 😀 hope they can deliver.

on 29-11-2017

MST1407, any comment on this?

on 29-11-2017

That looks promising. I googled “HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2a Converter” and found this:
http://www.opto-media.com/goods.php?act=category&no=55
It’s also from Taiwan, same as Partilink.

on 29-11-2017

Found a third one from Taiwan. This one has more technical information.
http://www.gomax-electronics.com.tw/product_show.php?show=301

on 30-11-2017

Interesting joevt, do you hink that the RCA is actually SPDIF?

on 30-11-2017

The opto-media and gomax products look the same (at least have the same features). The gomax product pages has more details and the opto-media product seems to match. They have an analog stereo output (3.5 mm connector) and an RCA output (S/PDIF for HDMI Audio Format: PCM2/5.1/7.1, Dolby 5.1/7.1, DTS 5.1/7.1). The GoMax specifically states there is no audio over DisplayPort. This may be a problem if you want to use the speakers of your display. The opto-media is probably the same.

The partilink has a second DisplayPort port for splitting. There are no other audio outputs so audio must come from the DisplayPort ports.
Pros:
1) Both video and audio can be duplicated on two devices (gomax and opto-media have video to one device and digital audio to a different device and analog audio to a third device)
2) Audio and video are transmitted over DisplayPort (gomax and opto-media have video to one device and audio to two other devices using RCA S/PDIF and 3.5 mm analog stereo)
Cons:
1) Audio is only stereo and only over DisplayPort (gomax and opto-media support HDMI formats and analog stereo but not over DisplayPort)

That information comes from the product pages. I might have made some incorrect assumptions based on that. Testing may have different results.

I haven’t e-mailed them for pricing and availability. Products that don’t have displayed pricing or online retail presence might be expensive?

on 30-11-2017

lol
“•Supports HDCP 1.4 & 2.2(only for HDMI input)*”
Then
“* DisplayPort output does not support HDCP”

I bet they are based on monitor controllers originally meant for driving eDP LCD modules. But these are not likely to be legal. The Q is if they can be stopped at all. These guys will pump quite a few units into the marked at the same time. I’m not even sure it would help to put the chip or chipmaker on a revocation list as the firmware makers wouldn’t even check against a list like that.

on 30-11-2017

Having no hdcp 2.2 myself, I was quite hoping for a thing like that. Sorry to say that out loud

on 30-11-2017

Believe me, we all want that gone! It’s just another way to cause problems and milk the marked for some money. Very few are able to copy the movies at this path anyway, and those who can will find another way. Besides, copying decoded HEVC signals and recoding surely can not be lossless? For the professionals, HDCP is a real headace because of limitations it puts on stuff like videowalls and most of them have backdoors. I have personally seen governmental owned sites buying cracking devices just to be able to watch cnn over satellite on their big wall. Don’t ask me why CNN would be requiring HDCP, but the satellite decoder companies may be trying to make firmware simpler for themselves.

on 04-12-2017

Received email from opto-media. They want my location (Chattanooga TN USA) to see if anyone close to me sells it. Not sure why I am still hopeful. Might just wait to HDMI 2.2 shows up with 4k. So much for buying a 4k monitor with 1.2 HDMI (July 2014).

on 09-12-2017

1 1-99 pcs 195.00
2 1 80~100
TOTAL
1. Payment:
2. Validity:
3. Lead time: 8 weeks
4. Trade Term: F.O.B. Taiwan
Sales Division
Form Number:QF-QP-11-01 Form Ver:1.0
30 days
T/T in advance
Description
CMV-535
HDMI 2.0a to DisplayPo

on 09-12-2017

So $195 USD for HDMI 2.0 to 1.2a Display plus shipping. Guess I will just wait and buy another 4k monitor with HDMI with 2.2 and HDR

on 09-12-2017

Yeah, there were good quality 4K monitors with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support on sale for barely higher than that on Black Friday.

on 10-12-2017

I got the same quote from opto media. “T/T in advance” means you have to do a wire transfer from your bank or something like that. No convenient PayPal.

They also sent a data sheet for the product, model CMV-535, which is nearly identical to the gomax CV-524. They say the CMV-535 is a newer model. It adds a dip switch for changing the EDID to one of 4 standard HD timings, but they say it can do any resolution up to the max.

While there may be inexpensive HDMI 2.0 displays, where this converter might be really useful is when you must use use an HDMI output to a DisplayPort display. For example, if you have two Dell 5K displays, it takes two DisplayPorts each, but an Nvidia card only has 3 DisplayPorts and one HDMI. I don’t know if this converter would allow 5K for the Dell using DisplayPort + HDMI, but it would be interesting to try. The driver just needs to know that both connections are going to the same display – this requires the EDID be sent correctly, or that you have the ability to override it correctly.

NVidia should replace the HDMI output with a DisplayPort, because there are plenty of DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapters but none that go from HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort (except these expensive hard to get converters).

on 14-12-2017

So noone’s getting it yet?

on 14-12-2017

Too much of a hassle to get one. It’s like they don’t want people to buy it…

I haven’t heard from gomax. That probably means they won’t reply.

partilink said the first batch of goods will be released end of March 2018 or middle April (but no idea about a North America release). They might be able to provide a unit in January but I think probably not. I didn’t get a price.

on 31-01-2018

A sales representative at OptoMedia notified me that they can accept payment from PayPal now, so I ordered their product and they shipped it to me in 4 days.

It works! It can take any resolution from my computer’s HDMI port, up to 4096×2160  60Hz and convert it to DisplayPort 1.2 (4 lanes). For example, 800×600 75Hz also works.

The model number is CMV-535. It is similar in appearance to the CV-524 on the gomax website (also pictured on  the opto-media website). It has a dip switch (as previously mentioned) and a full size DisplayPort (instead of mini DisplayPort). 

I’m testing on a Dell 4K display. The reported EDID from the converter has manufacturer as SPT (which might mean “Sceptre Tech Inc”) and Monitor name as “Converter”. This means the converter doesn’t do EDID pass through. I’ll have to try an EDID override to see if it can work as one half of the input for a Dell 5K display.

Audio is extract only, to analog stereo (3.5 mm audio jack), and digital S/PDIF coax (RCA jack). This means the audio is not output on the DisplayPort cable.

I couldn’t determine what chips it uses. There are two relatively large chips, each covered by a small heat sink. The heat sinks can be removed. The identifying marks are difficult to read.

So far I’ve only tried it from my Nvidia Titan X (Maxwell) card’s HDMI 2.0 port in Windows and macOS. I’ll try a PS4, a cable box, and some other computers with HDMI 1.4 later.

on 01-02-2018

I’ve tested the CMV-535 successfully with the following:
1) PS2 with Component Video to HDMI adapter (480i)
2) PS4 (only 1080p; you need a PS4 Pro for 4K)
3) Nvidia Titan X (Maxwell) HDMI 2.0 port
4) Z170X-Gaming 7 HDMI 2.0 port (from Intel graphics)
5) Club 3D CAC-1070 DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter from Nvidia and Intel graphics (redundant but interesting)
6) Plugable.com USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter from Intel graphics (also redundant)

OptoMedia said they were working on a firmware update for the end of January to fix a little compatibility issue with the Xbox One. I don’t know what the issue is.

on 01-02-2018

7) Also tested successfully with a Motorola cable box (1080p).

on 02-02-2018
I’ve tested the CMV-535 successfully with the following:
1) PS2 with Component Video to HDMI adapter (480i)
2) PS4 (only 1080p; you need a PS4 Pro for 4K)
3) Nvidia Titan X (Maxwell) HDMI 2.0 port
4) Z170X-Gaming 7 HDMI 2.0 port (from Intel graphics)
5) Club 3D CAC-1070 DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter from Nvidia and Intel graphics (redundant but interesting)
6) Plugable.com USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter from Intel graphics (also redundant)

OptoMedia said they were working on a firmware update for the end of January to fix a little compatibility issue with the Xbox One. I don’t know what the issue is.From joevt

Did it add some lag?

on 02-02-2018

Lag would only be possible if the converter saved entire frame buffers which would require lots of RAM as well. I think it just converts on a per pixel basis so there’s no way to add lag. What kind of converter do you know that adds lag? Maybe scalers?

on 02-02-2018

Hi, do you think you can also tell us the behavior for hdcp 2.2 ?

on 03-02-2018

I’m not sure how I would check for HDCP behavior. I was able to use a Motorola cable box and to play a DVD from a PS4. What should I try?

on 03-02-2018

Hey joevt, how did you order the OptoMedia product?
I went to the product’s page, http://www.opto-media.com/goods.php?act=category&no=55 , but didnt understand how to place an order.

Thanks

on 03-02-2018

They have a contact e-mail on their website [email protected]
I just sent an e-mail with subject sales information expressing my interest in purchasing the product and to please send pricing and availability information. They may ask for company name, contact information, and shipping address. I said I would purchase one unit for personal use. Then they’ll give you a quote. Then I said the price is acceptable and can they please send a PayPal invoice to my PayPal account (having my e-mail address). They’ll also kindly answer questions about the product’s capabilities. Maybe if you say you want to pay using PayPal upfront (and give all the info they need) then they’ll skip the quote step? PayPal was a new thing for them so hopefully they’ll continue to use it. It sure is convenient.

on 04-02-2018

The only way to test hdcp 2.2 that comes to my mind would be to use an official stream box (Chromecast 4k, Amazon fire TV 4k or Shield Tv) and stream Netflix 4k on a 25+Mbps connection. Same on a Windows 10 PC (only on UWP or Edge) with a 7th+ gen Intel IGP. Whew. Maybe there are other ways, but that’s all I know

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on 29-11-2017

Hello, does the converter support for amd freesync? Thanks

on 29-11-2017

Which converter? there is none

on 29-11-2017

I’m sorry I thought this (CAC-1070)

on 29-11-2017
I’m sorry I thought this (CAC-1070)From Wobko

The CAC-1070 is a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD adaptor.

We are looking for HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2 here. So No.

on 30-11-2017

Hi Wobco,

Wrong threat indeed, but VEllersen in right no support for freesync on CAC-1070 Adapter.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on 14-12-2017

http://www.opto-media.com/goods.php?act=category&no=55
We finally found the solution? 😀

on 14-12-2017

Scroll up a bit.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on 04-01-2018

New year any solutions or updates yet on xbox one x to displayport monitor for 4k @ 60 hz?

on 04-01-2018

and a very good new year to you 🙂 
Hopefully Club3D will be able to start offering HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2 Adapter solution, but so far i have no concrete information on this 🙁

on 15-01-2018

As of right now only GaminTechLTD on Twitter have an adapter that does this.

on 15-01-2018
As of right now only GaminTechLTD on Twitter have an adapter that does this.From Mu7ammad

Please, show us an image of this adapter (sorry for repeating my request)

on 17-01-2018

I’m making an account just so I can finally say, Mu7ammad is either entirely full of it, or he’s in on the scam. They don’t have an adapter of any sort I’m 99.9999% sure. Unlike him, however, I actually have proof of my claims. But the tl;dr of this is just don’t.

on 01-02-2018

What an asshole. I don’t have to provide images or anything for you. I’ll do it when I get the time to do so. It’s not like I get anything out of this I want to help.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on 31-01-2018

How much is the opto HDMI 2.0a to DisplayPort 1.2a Converter?

on 31-01-2018

The one I tried from Opto-Media is $195 USD, $90 USD shipping (to Canada), $39.34 CAD for FedEx customs charges COD. Altogether: $405.79 CAD. Not cheap. Still less than the price of a 4K HDMI 2.0 display…
https://windowsreport.com/4k-monitors-hdmi-2-0/

on 31-01-2018

Thank you!

on 31-01-2018
It works well?
on 31-01-2018

Yes, see my report above. I still have some other HDMI stuff to test with it.

on 31-01-2018

Ok, thanks. I wait for the test with a PS4.

on 01-02-2018

GaminTechLTD on twitter sells these for only $150 at least that’s how much it was when i bought it. They updated it since then.

on 01-02-2018

Thanks

on 04-02-2018

Mu7ammad has been asked for a proof or a picture of what he’s saying multiple times. At present it looks like he shouldn’t be trusted. Please Mu7ammad, prove us you’re right

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on 01-02-2018

Hey guys, I am looking for connecting my video card with HDMI 2.0 to my monitor with DP 1.2. Is this going to work? http://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2431/hdmi_to_displayport_adapter/ Thank you

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on 01-02-2018

Hey guys, I am looking for connecting my video card with HDMI 2.0 to my monitor with DP 1.2. Is this going to work? http://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2431/hdmi_to_displayport_adapter/ Thank you

on 01-02-2018

@Jelen this is from the description of the product “The HDMI™ to DisplayPort™ Adapter supports resolutions up to UHD 4096×2160 at 30 Hz” you ideally need a 60Hz one..

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel